• Register Today It's free!

Cant fill up!!

pzy3339

Reaction score
City, State
columbus ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006, 4x4 Limited 4.6
About two weeks ago I got two codes. 1450 and 0451.

Had tons of vacuum in the gas tank.

first time I got gas after that it was slow and the pump kicked off a few times.

Now I can hardly put gas in at all. It hardly flows down the neck. It will not only kick off the pump but it will back up and over flow if I'm not careful with how fast the gas pumps.

Super annoying.

The CEL had gone away for a few days but is back again.

Anyone who wtf is going on? I could really use a fuel system diagram if anyone knows where I can find one.

Thanks!

http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Ford TSB 07-25-3 Fuel fill-slow or early shut off

TSB
07-25-3

FUEL FILL - SLOW OR EARLY SHUT OFF - BUILT BEFORE 11/28/2007

Publication Date: November 30, 2007

FORD: 2006-2008 Explorer
MERCURY: 2006-2008 Mountaineer

ISSUE:

Some 2006-2008 Explorer and Mountaineer vehicles built before 11/28/2007 may exhibit a slow or difficult fuel fill or early pump shut off condition when refueling. This symptom may be accompanied by DTC P0451. This concern may be due to water or ice causing a restriction in the fresh air hose connected to the fuel filler housing and not allowing the fuel system to vent properly.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the fuel filler pipe fresh air vent tube with the redesigned shepherd hook tube. Inspect the vapor lines and Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) canister for water contamination. If the vapor line has water in it, clean the lines with shop air. If EVAP canister is contaminated with water, replace the canister.

Disconnect the fresh air tube at the dust separator and inspect for water intrusion.
If water is not present do not continue with this TSB. Follow normal diagnostic procedures found in the Work Shop Manual (WSM) Section 310-00 pinpoint test A.
If water is present, replace the fuel filler pipe fresh air vent line with the revised vent line.
Remove the EVAP canister and inspect for water intrusion. If contaminated replace the EVAP canister. Refer to the WSM, Section 310-01.
Clean the vapor lines with 100 psi of regulated shop air.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8L2Z-9S327-A Fuel Vapor Hose
7L2Z-9D653-B Reservoir - EVAP Canister

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

Where does one find the redesigned Shepard's hook fresh air fuel vent hose? This is the exact problem I am have with my 08 mountaineer. We have replaced the EVAP canister 6 times in 3 years due 2 water getting in and frying it. When refilling the pump shuts off constantly and takes 20 mins to fill completely. Also seems overpressurized and "hisses" at you when refueling.

You’ve got real patience. The first time it took 20 minutes to fill up, I’d have lit it on fire. I’m sure the dealer carries the revised part.

Back