• Register Today It's free!

Cant find rear end gasket...

Alex7772011

Reaction score
City, State
Big island hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford exploer sport
So i have a 99 ford explorer sport 2dr 4x4 auto my rear end pumpking leaking gear oil and the leak is pretty good.
its leaking threw the gasket but i cannot find any one thats carries for my car or they cannot find any made for my car? went to napa, carquest, and oriels.
i have the tag number from the rear end too. S615E 4L10 8 8 9F18
any help or info would be nice.
thanks in advance :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a standard 8.8 inch Ford differential. One of the more common rearends ever made. Perhaps search Summit Racing.

They didn't use a gasket originally-just RTV. And when you insist on a gasket then go to put it together you'll soon see why ;)

Bill

They didn't use a gasket originally-just RTV. And when you insist on a gasket then go to put it together you'll soon see why ;)

Bill

I guess I have used a gasket on at least 8 ford rear differentials and have never had one leak or any issues with installing them.

O'reilly's should have it in stock. the factory didn't use a gasket, they used black RTV. you can use a gasket if you want to, but be sure to also use RTV. are you sure it's leaking from the gasket? they usually leak from the pinion seal.

You can buy gasket material by the roll at any auto parts store. I keep a roll at my brothers shop, I just used some for his 9.75" when I replaced a wheel bearing. RTV is ok when everything is new, clean and has time to setup. I make a gasket and glue it to the cover with high-tack glue.

Clean both mating surfaces then lightly oil the surface of the diff housing.
Run a bead of RTV around the mating surface of the diff cover.
Allow the RTV get firm but not fully set then gently press the cover onto the diff housing taking care not the squeeze all the RTV out, not that it should because it's firm by now but not fully set.
Do the bolts up lightly once again taking care not to squeeze the RTV out.
When the RTV is fully set torque the bolts up.

You'll never get a leak if you do it that way.

O'reilly's should have it in stock. the factory didn't use a gasket, they used black RTV. you can use a gasket if you want to, but be sure to also use RTV. are you sure it's leaking from the gasket? they usually leak from the pinion seal.

yea its leaking from the bottom and sides of the pumpking but mostly from the bottom and i can see gear oil on sway bar too. so just use the rtv then? i didnt know there was no gaskets lol never changed gear oil in my life lol :scratch:

Also, loosen the fill plug BEFORE doing anything else. Sometimes they're frozen, and the only easy way to fill with gear lube.

Also, loosen the fill plug BEFORE doing anything else. Sometimes they're frozen, and the only easy way to fill with gear lube.
i know that part lol drain all the oil first...
is there a write up on how to do the gear oil change and rtv seal on here?

i know that part lol drain all the oil first...
is there a write up on how to do the gear oil change and rtv seal on here?
NO. LOOSEN THE FILL PLUG FIRST. If it's stuck, there is no easy way to add oil. There are no other plugs.

Gear lube change procedure linked in post #10 .

an excellent tip.:thumbsup:

+1 If you remove the cover and later find you can't get the fill plug out you're stuck drilling the cover and fabricating a new fill plug.

Bill

I used black Permatex RTV on my front diff. No issues.

ABS hole as a last resort.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back