• Register Today It's free!

cant spin tires

oldfordisbetter

Reaction score
City, State
south jersery
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford exploder
explorer has 190,000 ish miles on it. cas good tuneup, use high mileage oil. has spectra intake & dynomax catback exaust. problem is i cant do a burnout or spin tires unless im on a wet road, snow, ice patch, loose dirt. the motor just revs up & is nice & loud but the tires wont spin.. what can i do to beef pwr up a bit to be able to spin tires? i aint looking to burn the rubber off my tires all the time i just think its pretty bad that ya cant spin tires....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Considering this is a 4000+ lbs truck with a 160hp motor (220 lbs torque) your not going to get those tires spinning.

With a manual trans, and small tires (28" - 29" tires) and the right gear ration (3.73's) you may be able to get them to spin with a clutch dump.

In general, the motor doesn't have enough hp to break them free.

the OHV motor can get more power, but its not a night/day difference until you start spending some serious money.

There are a few higher hp 4.0 ohv motors on here and raising the compression (using different heads) and changing the cam plus injectors seems to be the more common (if that is even possible) way to get the extra power.

~Mark

Should I post the vid of the kid in the neon blowing his engine while trying to spin his tires or just leave it alone?

leave it alone.

190k+trying to burn out=fail

190k is just a worn out motor. If you had it rebuilt, the right tire size and right gear you might be able too but a stock motor with them miles no. Don't forget about your tranny, if the motor has that many miles then so does the tranny and trying to make your tires chirp you could very easily end up trashing it and then you have a very costly repair.

Should I post the vid of the kid in the neon blowing his engine while trying to spin his tires or just leave it alone?

Post it. some people just need audio-visual aides

190k+trying to burn out=fail

Agreed. + 15year old stock SUV trying to burn out= WTF???? It's a truck. It's a 4x4. You should be happy that it doesn't break the tires loose. It's part of the "anti-stupid teenager, poor driving skills, bloody/fiery death prevention" package.:D I think it was standard equipment that year.:rolleyes:

Agreed. + 15year old stock SUV trying to burn out= WTF???? It's a truck. It's a 4x4. You should be happy that it doesn't break the tires loose. It's part of the "anti-stupid teenager, poor driving skills, bloody/fiery death prevention" package.:D I think it was standard equipment that year.:rolleyes:

and I suspect in the case of the OP it's probably a good thing the truck has this option :D

im not a dumb teenage,r, or a teenager mind yall. im asking b/c my friend has a 93 explorer lifted on 33's stock gears with intake, & exaust same as me & he can spin them. my aunts explorer can spin them & she's stock with 230,000 on it. we both got same size tires 235/75 15's. i take very well car of the explorer. i had it since 84,000 miles back in 99'. purchased it off the origional owner he was an old'er man. im in my mid 20's. every year i give it a tuneup, seafoam it, every 3000/3month it get a oil change. tires get rotated. every season. i used to be able to spin them easily. now it wont. havnt tried in over 3 years & i tried the other day & no luck.. but 2day i got some brand new bfg a/t's on it b/c the stockers were so worn & they would get packed with the snow we had over the weekend. even with the 20% tread left on old tires they still wouldnt spin...im not looking to tear up my new tires im trying to figure out why they wont spin? out of the 3 exploders listed mine has the least mileage so dont say anything bout high miles is the problem!!!

im not a dumb teenage,r, or a teenager mind yall. im asking b/c my friend has a 93 explorer lifted on 33's stock gears with intake, & exaust same as me & he can spin them. my aunts explorer can spin them & she's stock with 230,000 on it. we both got same size tires 235/75 15's. i take very well car of the explorer. i had it since 84,000 miles back in 99'. purchased it off the origional owner he was an old'er man. im in my mid 20's. every year i give it a tuneup, seafoam it, every 3000/3month it get a oil change. tires get rotated. every season. i used to be able to spin them easily. now it wont. havnt tried in over 3 years & i tried the other day & no luck.. but 2day i got some brand new bfg a/t's on it b/c the stockers were so worn & they would get packed with the snow we had over the weekend. even with the 20% tread left on old tires they still wouldnt spin...im not looking to tear up my new tires im trying to figure out why they wont spin? out of the 3 exploders listed mine has the least mileage so dont say anything bout high miles is the problem!!!

High mileage has alot to due with it along with gearing which the early 90's models lacked. If you have 3.27 and an old tired motor its not going to turn your tires unless your on something that holds less resistance. You stated that you have not tried to smoke em' in 3 years. Lots can happen in 3 years to an engine that is driven on every day no matter how well you take care of it. If you want to know why its not up to par like it used to be check your plugs/wires/distributor first and go from there. I would also check the compression of each piston to make sure they are within spec.

If you want to spin the tires, why don't you buy JTSmith's truck? I know first hand that has plenty of power.

Lol they wont spin because of the red interior :p:

Jk man...my 92 was simaler, but I could get em to spin once in a blue moon when it was dry

If you want to spin the tires, why don't you buy JTSmith's truck? I know first hand that has plenty of power.

That Mountaineer will not only spin the tires but they are at the mercy of the drivers foot, ,
and it's for sale, at a great price ,

Yea....you're going to have a hard time trying to spin them unless you get on a little bit of gravel or some salt that's on dry road. Back when I was a teenager I had a 92 sport and 94 sport and spun the tires (didn't realize the price of tires til I needed them) but they both had a manual tranny. Or you could try some worn out bald tires that may do the trick! But I wouldn't be concerned with spinning them.

Haha

ok im done with this thread. & i got a tire guy & great rock bottom prices..check me out in the newbie section i got pics there

Yea....you're going to have a hard time trying to spin them unless you get on a little bit of gravel or some salt that's on dry road. Back when I was a teenager I had a 92 sport and 94 sport and spun the tires (didn't realize the price of tires til I needed them) but they both had a manual tranny. Or you could try some worn out bald tires that may do the trick! But I wouldn't be concerned with spinning them.

worn out/bald tires are harder to break free they have more of a contact patch. dump some oil or bleach on that should get them spinning. or do a brake stand to get them going.

I tried this earlier today just for fun. 92 with a manual and 31x10.5's with 3.55 gears, dumped clutch at about 4k rpm, got one tire to break loose for about 10 feet. It can be done but I don't recommend trying. Part of the reason you may not be able to get them to break loose could be a posi rear end, or a really low set of gears, or even a worn out clutch

Part of the reason you may not be able to get them to break loose could be a posi rear end, or a really low set of gears, or even a worn out clutch
higher gears would make it harder to brake free while lower gears will make it easier to brake the tires free

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'scuse me, I meant low numerically... 3.27's or 3.55's. as opposed to a high numeric number, such as 3.73 or 4.10

Back