capless fuel filler frozen | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

capless fuel filler frozen

I don't see any sort of hole in the door gasket/pad on my 2016 but hind sight I didn't have good light on it. so I'll check again tonight sometime and might get a picture.

however I'll still say you shouldn't have water in that part of the filler, unless it got there during your fill up, even condensation shouldn't really collect there due to the angle, and depth in the body. It might bit again I'd doubt.

Are you sure there as ice in there and it wasn't just bound up due to being so cold. (metal contracts with temp - 3degrees is pretty damn cold in my book)

it also might have been an issue with your filler nozzle. if it doesn't happen again this winter I'd put more money on the nozzle being some how out of spec. This has happened to me twice in 3 years.
If you are referring to the 'hole' at the 6 o'clock position mentioned by stillmarried, it isn't a hole but just a small triangular indent. See my post 14.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had the capless system in my 10 expedition with over 100k and we are in NY lots of crap weather driving and never had an issue.. I have even washed around the inside of the door to get rid of sale and winter crap sn the door never froze. I guess I have been lucky

I have had the capless system in my 10 expedition with over 100k and we are in NY lots of crap weather driving and never had an issue.. I have even washed around the inside of the door to get rid of sale and winter crap sn the door never froze. I guess I have been lucky
Not really lucky. I think it is more that the OP was unlucky. As mentioned this thread is the first one of its kind in 5+ years of the 5th gen Explorer.

Peter

Yep, I've had the capless on Explorers since they first came out and have never had one freeze. We had the seal go bad on a '10 Explorer, that's how I know they are VERY expensive to replace.

If you are referring to the 'hole' at the 6 o'clock position mentioned by stillmarried, it isn't a hole but just a small triangular indent. See my post 14.

Peter

yes I was, and yes I'd agree with your comment. mine has a slight ridge in it or valley I assume to help is compress evenly.

Not sure if that is a good idea about the methanol. From the Manual;

Do not use:
• Diesel fuel.
• Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
• Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol
or E85 fuel.
Fuels containing methanol.
• Fuels containing metallic-based
additives, including manganese-based
compounds.

Peter

That is in reference to Methanol based racing fuel. Filling up the tank with that has the potential to cause damage to the engine and may even result in the inability to start the engine when it's cold out.

The quantity of methanol in a Heet bottle with a full tank of gas is supposed to be insignificant for the engine, but increases the fuel's hygroscopic properties to dissolve any water in the tank, send it through the engine, and out the exhaust.

Personally, I feel that with the prevalent use of Ethanol in our gasoline supply, water in the tank is a thing of the past and Heet has outlived its usefulness as a regular fuel additive. I often wonder if it is surviving due to at home chemists and an old school belief that it prevents frozen fuel lines.

Back