Manual re-fueling Heads up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual re-fueling Heads up

briteboy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT+Nav,MFT
Nation,

Had an occassion to add some gas to the Ex this past weekend from a 5 gallon gas can.

You can't do it....(without a LOT of jerry-rigging)

The filler tube has a "pivot door" that flips back when you put a fuel nozzle in. This pivot door is locked until the fuel nozzle is inserted. I guess it's to prevent siphoning, adding other "additives" that could be harmful.

But if you're unlucky enough to be stranded on the side of the road and want to add fuel from a gas can you better be prepared. Luckily, I was at home and had the tools to create a temporary repair.

On the sides of the filler tube, there are 2 mechanical sensors that recess when a fuel nozzle is inserted, as the filler tube and the nozzle are the same diameter. This unlocks the pivot door.

I took a plastic funnel and cut the bottom end off, until the funnel and the filler tube were the same diameter. That released the the 2 mechanical sensors. But the weight of the gas itself did not open the pivot door, nor did the nozzle of the gas can, as it was not long enough, or small enough to reach the bottom of the funnel tube. So I took a long screw driver, and shoved it thru the funnel, thus opening the pivot door in the filler tube.

Gas flowed nicely with no leakage.

It seems a shame that if you run out of gas on the side of the road, you'll have to have a flat bed come and take you to a station.

Just wanted to share that tid-bit. I know most of you will never use this, but for $1.50 for a plastic funnel it might be worth the effort.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or if you read your owners manual or look at the picture inside the gas cap, you can go to where your spare tire is and use the funnel that is inside the vehicle for just this purpose....

:D

Nation,

Had an occassion to add some gas to the Ex this past weekend from a 5 gallon gas can.

You can't do it....(without a LOT of jerry-rigging)

The filler tube has a "pivot door" that flips back when you put a fuel nozzle in. This pivot door is locked until the fuel nozzle is inserted. I guess it's to prevent siphoning, adding other "additives" that could be harmful.

But if you're unlucky enough to be stranded on the side of the road and want to add fuel from a gas can you better be prepared. Luckily, I was at home and had the tools to create a temporary repair.

On the sides of the filler tube, there are 2 mechanical sensors that recess when a fuel nozzle is inserted, as the filler tube and the nozzle are the same diameter. This unlocks the pivot door.

I took a plastic funnel and cut the bottom end off, until the funnel and the filler tube were the same diameter. That released the the 2 mechanical sensors. But the weight of the gas itself did not open the pivot door, nor did the nozzle of the gas can, as it was not long enough, or small enough to reach the bottom of the funnel tube. So I took a long screw driver, and shoved it thru the funnel, thus opening the pivot door in the filler tube.

Gas flowed nicely with no leakage.

It seems a shame that if you run out of gas on the side of the road, you'll have to have a flat bed come and take you to a station.

Just wanted to share that tid-bit. I know most of you will never use this, but for $1.50 for a plastic funnel it might be worth the effort.
"brite"boy, the following is from your Owner's Guide;

Refilling with a portable fuel container
With the Easy Fuel “no cap” fuel system, use the following directions
when filling from a portable fuel container:
WARNING: Do not insert the nozzle of portable fuel containers
or aftermarket funnels into the Easy Fuel system. This could
damage the fuel system and its seal, and may cause fuel to run onto
the ground instead of filling the tank, which could result in serious
personal injury.
WARNING: Do not try to pry open or push open the Easy Fuel
system with foreign objects. This could damage the fuel system
and its seal and cause injury to you or others.
When filling the vehicle’s fuel tank from a portable fuel container, use the
included funnel.
1. Locate the white plastic funnel. It
is clipped onto the spare tire
compartment.
2. Slowly insert the funnel into the Easy Fuel system.
3. Fill the vehicle with fuel from the portable fuel container.
4. When done, clean the funnel or properly dispose of it. Extra funnels
can be purchased from your authorized dealer if you choose to dispose
of the funnel. Do not use aftermarket funnels; they will not work with
the Easy Fuel system and can damage it. The included funnel has been
specially designed to work safely with your vehicle.

Amazing what you can find in it. ;)

But thanks for posting. Perhaps it will help a few others who are not aware of the procedure.

Peter

And it's not like this to prevent siphoning, that's how it seals the tank up and enables the cap less feature.

Lol.. love the OPs name.. ironic isn't it lol.

+1 :D

Took me about 25 years before I learned I didn't know so much. Been spending the rest trying to catch up!

You have the little plastic funnel that fits into the refill neck perfectly. However, you have to make sure the inside doesn't have debris because when I tried to put in a tank of gas when I was really low on fuel, the little plastic thing was really dirty.

He must work for the federal gov't. When I worked for the gov't, our motto was, "when all else fails read the directions".

OK...OK...OK. I probably deserve most of the "remarks" here.

Never thought to look in the manual. Certainly didn't sit down and read the manual from cover to cover because I know where the gas pedal and brake are, as well as the headlight and turnsignal switches. :p:

I'm glad Ford put the funnel in the car.

But it should be obvious to most of you that I DON'T work for the gov't. Those SOB's would create a "blue ribbon panel" to study the situation, and probably start a new arm of gov't to regulate it.

They certainly don't have the knowledge to create a solution on the spot, like an old farm boy that grew up figuring out how to fix a problem with limited resources. :usa:

(I know... now all hell is going break loose.) Let 'er rip.

You have the little plastic funnel that fits into the refill neck perfectly. However, you have to make sure the inside doesn't have debris because when I tried to put in a tank of gas when I was really low on fuel, the little plastic thing was really dirty.

1995E,

This helps a lot to avoid dirt and debris in the little plastic thing.

http://accessories.ford.com/locking-fuel-plug.html

ATB,
Bobby

It's awesome that you were able to redneck engineer something to work! I just found it funny that you did all that for nothing.

Just giving you a hard time ;)

Never thought to look in the manual. Certainly didn't sit down and read the manual from cover to cover because I know where the gas pedal and brake are, as well as the headlight and turnsignal switches. :p:

I'm glad Ford put the funnel in the car.

But it should be obvious to most of you that I DON'T work for the gov't. Those SOB's would create a "blue ribbon panel" to study the situation, and probably start a new arm of gov't to regulate it.

They certainly don't have the knowledge to create a solution on the spot, like an old farm boy that grew up figuring out how to fix a problem with limited resources. :usa:

(I know... now all hell is going break loose.) Let 'er rip.
Don't feel bad as I did the same as you. My son had a 2010 Fusion and he told me about the funnel as well. :(

This is actually something your dealer should have explained thoroughly during your pick up checklist . . . My rep went as far as pulling the funnel out and showing me how to use it.

But . . . when it comes to vehicles reading the manual cover to cover when you first get it is a good idea. There are lots of little things you may not know you can do (like how to disable the seatbelt chime for drivers and passengers seats).

I'm usually in the same boat as you and discard manuals for most things I purchase, but for vehicles I typically will read through the manual twice.

<snip>

Don't feel bad about re-inventing the wheel.. I've re-invented many things only to find out later that if I would have read a manual that the wheel had already been invented.

At least it was in the manual.. many times you just have to know the wheel already existed..

~Mark

Fuel fill read the manual

I'd like to have a manual to read. Got mine used and the glove box was empty. Went to ford and they want $85 for an owners manual. Kinda like H-D (hundred dollars) every time you need something. $85 to hook vehicle up to computer to get keypad access code. n Thanks to this site we're getting to know this vehicle pretty well.:salute:

I'd like to have a manual to read. Got mine used and the glove box was empty. Went to ford and they want $85 for an owners manual. Kinda like H-D (hundred dollars) every time you need something. $85 to hook vehicle up to computer to get keypad access code. n Thanks to this site we're getting to know this vehicle pretty well.:salute:
Get the online version and save it to your computer. It is much easier to use that way since you can use the "Find" option from the 'Edit' on your toolbar to locate things much faster than thumbing through the actual Guide.

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Cont...oLogin=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&ord=65801355

Hope that helps. The site will also have other manuals listed.

NOTE: Are you looking for manuals on a 2005 SportTrac? That is what you show as having. If not, it is time to update your profile. :)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

manual

Get the online version and save it to your computer. It is much easier to use that way since you can use the "Find" option from the 'Edit' on your toolbar to locate things much faster than thumbing through the actual Guide.

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Cont...oLogin=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&ord=65801355

Hope that helps. The site will also have other manuals listed.

NOTE: Are you looking for manuals on a 2005 SportTrac? That is what you show as having. If not, it is time to update your profile. :)

Peter

Thanks I'll check it out.:salute:

Back