Car shakes when steering at low speeds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car shakes when steering at low speeds

MHartley

Reaction score
City, State
Fair Oaks, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer Sport
1998 Ford Explorer Sport MT

Just recently my car seems to shake when I make a turn at low speeds.
There is plenty of power steering fluid, so maybe it is the power
steering pump? Any suggestions things to check.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the problem go away at all as the engine warms up? If so your rack & pinnion is wearing out. This is a common problem with racks (has been since they invented the power rack) and is referred to as "morning sickness". The only cure is to replace the rack.

If the problem stays the same I would check the tierod ends and ball joints for binding.

Mine seems to have a similar problem. The strange thing is its intemittent. Every once in a while, while making a turn the steering wheel and front end shake badly. It doesn't go away as the engine warms up, and happens no more than once every month or so.

how long has this been happening? do you have any other problems?

Well, I remember it happening very rarely for the last couple years.. it did it 2 weeks ago, and a little bit today (I only drove it around the block). As for other problems, it occasionally will shake almost uncontollably when hitting a bump, which also only happens from time to time... I'd have to imagine its something in the front end. But since it doesnt happen that often, I haven't done anything about it.

there is a recent ford service bulletin that addresses a very similar problem and one I've experienced myself. Almost uncontrollable front end shaking is due to air getting into the power steering hoses due to foaming fluid or, if you've changed brakes lately, by turning the tires side to side manually. Ford has a complex fix for it but i've cured it by sucking out the old fluid and replacing it then find a parking lot and do figure 8's , lock to lock, for about five minutes. Problem gone

after I got my brakes done I had the same exact problem. I took my car in a empty parking lot and steered all around turning the wheel as much as possible at a low speed. it took a while of doing this, but gradually it improved, and this must have gotten rid of the air in the lines, because I havent had a problem since.

I was always told its very bad to turn the steering wheel to the end (lock). Any truth to this?

i had this problem, gettin new tires seemed to solve it

I was always told its very bad to turn the steering wheel to the end (lock). Any truth to this?

Not if you don't hold it there.

Holding it at lock with the pump screaming bloody murder is not wise.

I would remove your steering pump tank cap, turn the wheel lock to lock a few times, possibly with the front tires off the ground. You may have air in the system. Then, if that didn't work, try a flush of your power steering system. Worn fluid may have something to do with your problem.

I think I have the same problem. In your case does it occur after you turn the wheel and start moving, or does it shake as soon as you start turning the wheel? Also, does anyone have a link to the tsb? thanks

Definitely the power steering for me, tonight. 98 4.0 2WD, and I just did some brake work. After dropping from the lift, the front shuddered. I flipped until I realized the brakes worked fine and the shuddering was only when turning the wheel (backing out of the garage). I thought that the fluid was low, but was wrong, so I did the same lock to lock motions to work the air out and that worked tonight. I'll update tomorrow after a cold-start too.

I'm having the same problem, though, I didn't have my brakes fixed. I actually had to get a tow due to a bad starter and the tow truck driver had to steer the truck onto the ramp without it running. After reading these posts, I'm pretty sure this is the problem. I'm gonna go try the figure 8 thing shortly and I'll see if that fixes it.

How does air get in the lines if you steer manually?

I must vote for air in the lines from whatever source. I would also recommend a fluid change to synthetic ATF. If you have significant miles it would be wise to change the fluid and the syn might just keep you unit alive longer. The syn will be less prone to foaming as well.

Automatic transmission fluid?

syn?

I was referring to the power steering lines, and I am severely confused now.

Your power steering unit uses ATF for fluid. ATF is simply hydrolic fluid and your power steering is a hydrolic system.

All the above symptoms are foaming and air in the system. I had the exact same problems, cure was to make sure the system is topped off and to work the steering back and forth, no need to do figure eights, just start the truck and go from lock to lock a few times. Foam or air in the system can be from low fluid level, and manually moving the steering while the truck is not running, be it form the steering wheels, or from moving the wheels. I'm unaware of the Ford bulliton, anyone got a link?

~Mike............

Yes! I did exactly that. Parked the truck in my garage (smoother concrete) and turned the wheel lock to lock. All symptoms are gone and the steering is more solid as a result. I appreciate the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back