Car shuts off right when I start it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car shuts off right when I start it

unix4linux

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Hello All,

This is my first post in this forum. I was helping a friend change the valve cover gaskets and we had to take the intake manifold off along with several sensor disconnects and vacuum lines.

We put everything back together and forgot to place one vacuum line that comes out from the firewall on the passenger side to wherever it goes. We have no idea where it goes. We can't find where we may have unplugged it from. Now, the car turns right off when we start it. If we give it gas to keep it on, it makes popping noises right from the intake manifold. What could we have done wrong? Where would the vacuum line that we still have unplugged go? Could that be the problem?

Here is a pic of the line:

ford_explorer_2002_vacuum_line.jpg

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, that vacuum wire goes to what looks like a giant fuel pressure regulator underneath and a bit behind towards the left of the alternator. Also, the actual fuel pressure regulator thats right on the fuel line has a red vacuum line so I know that's ok.

However, still the car turns right on and shuts right off. It's as if it's not getting any gas because if I try to accelerate to keep it on it idles very very rough and pops where the manifold is.

Anyone have an idea, please :(

and the answer was !
Sure sounded like an intake manifold leak. Still had an open hose
or were the intake bolts loose? or?

Having the same issue what fixed it for you. I get a rough stumble idle and then a CEL and it dies. Sometimes at startup and last night while on hwy with cruise set.

before i could jiggle that vacume hose connector and it would fix it. I changed it out and now it is tight but still doing the same thing.

What did you do to fix this??? PLEASE!!!

Back