Car stucks/jams if 4x4 is turned on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car stucks/jams if 4x4 is turned on

motogabriel

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91` Ford Explorer
Hi,

its a really strange problem, when shifting into 4x4 and driving, the car "jams up", like the wheels stuck or something for a moment, then it drives normal for a short distance, stucks again, runs normal... i have already tryed with a different transfer case and still the same problem, mechanics in the workshop also are out of ideas :/

Can anyone direct me to the right path?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this on pavement, or dirt?

Both :), its like something in transmission jams up for a second, then loosens up again, then jams up... But when i disconnect 4x4 everything is okay.
Maybe someone has any similar experiences.

If you're driving in 4wd on pavement and making turns, the driveline can bind up and cause what you're describing. But if it's happening on dirt too, maybe a bad hub.

Well, i havent tried it on dirt, i didnt think it makes a difference, sorry, so i assumed it both. Using google translate i was able to understand what a driveline is but can you explain shortly whats a "hub" ?

If it is indeed a driveline fault, how can it be fixed? Ive noticed its more severe when turning indeed.

Thanks for answering :)

Dry pavement? That's your issue. These weren't meant for that, and it's possible to cause damage.

4x4 is not meant to be used on normal asphalt/pavement at all? :O what the heck, really?

That is correct. 4x4 is for off road or snow ONLY! Using it on asphalt or concrete can damage the vehicle. Also, don't forget that when you are done using 4x4 off road, you need to disengage it, then back up for about 10 few or so to unlock the hubs, which are the part that sticks out of the center of your front wheels.

That is correct. 4x4 is for off road or snow ONLY! Using it on asphalt or concrete can damage the vehicle. Also, don't forget that when you are done using 4x4 off road, you need to disengage it, then back up for about 10 few or so to unlock the hubs, which are the part that sticks out of the center of your front wheels.

Thanks for the hint! I had no idea. But at the moment this jamming up on concrete is normal or do the mechanics need to keep investigatin?'

Thanks for the hint! I had no idea. But at the moment this jamming up on concrete is normal or do the mechanics need to keep investigatin?'

Its right there in the owners manual. You can use it on pavement, provided its snowy, raining, or otherwise slippery.

Also check to make sure all of your tires are the same size, not only in tire spec, but physically. Even though your tires are of the same size/brand/type, one tire may be worn more than others and rotates more. This can cause binding in the transfer case.

Remember: when in 4x4, one front tire and one back tire are locked together without differential. Thats why the road surface has to be soft so one tire can slip.

My Guess is, it is working fine...

The way "most" part time 4x4 systems work by joining the front and rear driveshafts by a chain or gears. There is no clutch in there.

As you turn, the front and rear wheels of a vehicle are actually traveling in a different arc which means they are trying to go different speeds. When you put a typical part time 4x4 system into 4wd you now have the front and rear drive shafts trying to turn at different speeds but they can't because they are tied together.

At this point you are getting what is called driveline wind up. Something has to give in order to relieve the pressure. If you are on low traction terrain like Mud or dirt the tires will slip on the ground. If you are on Concrete or Pavement the tires have a hard time slipping. If there is enough traction you will actually break something. If you are lucky it is the front hubs. If you are less lucky it will be a u-joint or worse.

Also, keep in mind, most likely you do not have a limited slip in the front or rear axle. It is possible to have it in the rear, but not likely. That means you really have a 2wd vehicle when you are in 4wd. When you are in 2wd you really only have a 1 wheel drive vehicle. If you want to know more about this you want to look into how a differential works. It is what allows you to turn corners without having the vehicle scrub (wear) tires or bounce...

~Mark

Thanks a ton guys! I have been a real idiot. Everything makes so much more sense now. I hope that i havent broken anything when trying on asphalt and concrete. From now on ill only touch 4x4 on dirt. Thanks!

Gabriel, you mentioned using google translator, what country do you live in?

Gabriel, you mentioned using google translator, what country do you live in?

Estonia :)

Europe-Political-Map.jpg

Oh wow very cool! Anyways yeah, it's quite normal for them to bind up on concrete, mine does it too, however I just did it once to make sure everything was hooking up like it should be. (because I had just repaired a corroded wire) first time 4x4 works since I've owned it!

Hmm, just called the workshop and the car binds up a bit going straight too, but they suspect it could be because of one tire that is smaller than the others, which makes sense and is mentioned in this thread too :) I had no idea so little things can affect 4x4 functioning.

Yeah, if anything is out of order, you will see it more in 4x4. Haven't met anyone from Estonia before! I work with a guy from bulgaria, and a few from bosnia, but never estonia. Glad you got your problems figured out!

because of one tire that is smaller than the others

That will certainly cause the binding you are describing.

As for using 4wd on high traction surfaces, we all say don't do it, then we go to Moab Utah and use 4wd and lock the differentials so all 4 wheels are locked together and drive on sandstone rock all day long.

So, what i"m saying is, unless you're off-road, you shouldn't need 4wd on high traction surfaces (roads). Just know what effects to expect and know the potential for damage if you use it that way.

Good luck and welcome to EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, there you go. I'll add this though... I don't even use it in rain unless water is pooling. I don't think simply wet pavement allows much slip. Ice is fine, but don't depend on 4x4 to keep you on the road. It helps but it's not like you have studded tires or chains.

If you are using a translator, then I probably just told you to go pick bananas or something. Anyway, happy trails!

Back