Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks.

There is a service bulletin that came out last month where the production and service parts now use a new revised (stronger) panels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a service bulletin that came out last month where the production and service parts now use a new revised (stronger) panels.

Excellent! My new Sport is being built in a couple weeks, and this thread was worrying me!

Hey Riley,
My panel just broke on mine from me just kneeling on it and ford is saying i need to pay for repairs. Do you have the TSB number for this issue? I searched but didnt see it.

thanks
jason

Hey Riley,
My panel just broke on mine from me just kneeling on it and ford is saying i need to pay for repairs. Do you have the TSB number for this issue? I searched but didnt see it.

thanks
jason

A tsb is not a recall. If you are out of warranty, tsb's are customer pay repairs. I see you have a 2011 and many are starting to hit over 36k so that's why I mention it.

agree.
but if there is a tsb and a design change, i would think that would be justification for at least a discount on part and or labor. im 1000 miles out of warranty. i weigh 180 lbs and my weight should not break the panel nor is it illogical to assume the panel should support my weight. i have seen no weight limitations documented but am searching for that now.
ford is saying 300.00 for this. :S

agree.
but if there is a tsb and a design change, i would think that would be justification for at least a discount on part and or labor. im 1000 miles out of warranty. i weigh 180 lbs and my weight should not break the panel nor is it illogical to assume the panel should support my weight. i have seen no weight limitations documented but am searching for that now.
ford is saying 300.00 for this. :S
There are posts in this thread of weights far in excess of 180 pounds being carried without any problems. Don't forget that when you are kneeling, the weight is basically all in one spot instead of being distributed over the cargo area.
I suggest sending a PM to Crystal (FordService) and see if she can help in any way. You can use this link if you are in the U.S.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
Include your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message.

Peter

Yes, definitely get the Fire rep involved. At 1,000 miles over, they should definitely gift this repair to you. I weigh the same and can feel how weak it is but I'm extra careful because I know of the issue. If you find the tsb, please post it.

Yes, definitely get the Fire rep involved. At 1,000 miles over, they should definitely gift this repair to you. I weigh the same and can feel how weak it is but I'm extra careful because I know of the issue. If you find the tsb, please post it.
Fire rep?? Close enough.:D

Peter

My third row seat panel is fixed! A BIG thank you to Cory for helping out and Jeff the regional service manager. Both were excellent to work with and communicated well throughout the process. I couldn't be happier. Well, outside of getting those panels replaced with something a little more strudy. But at least I'm back to new.

So, did the dealer replaced it with the same weak panel or with a sturdier version?

So, the dealer replaced it with the same weak panel or with a sturdier version?

Replaced with factory OEM parts. There is no stronger version of the panel or else I am sure Ford would start using them in production.

I will say this, while the panel isn't stronger, knowing the problem exists I have been able to load and unload heavy payloads in the back without breaking a second panel. You just have to know where you can and cannot create pressure points. While remodeling my home theater I hauled 1.15 ton of material (not all at one time) in the back and never worried about breaking a panel. Still good as new!

Replaced with factory OEM parts. There is no stronger version of the panel or else I am sure Ford would start using them in production.
see post 61 above.

Peter

see post 61 above.

Peter

Oh, I missed that. I may take my Ex in to have the stronger panels installed then. Sorry for my mix-up

Do you have the tsb #?

I am sure Ford would start using them in production.
Car companies don't think like this. It's cheaper to fix a "few", vs. rolling added costs into "all". Some where, a cost accountant has done an analysis on what is cheaper and at what point it makes $$ sense to fix in production. VW TDI Golfs and Jettas have an intercooler icing problem, that started in 2009. They engineered a retrofit fix and made it a TSB. Do you think it got rolled into production? Nope, the 2014s still have the problem. Engineers don't build cars, Accountants do.....

Hey gang,

As others have suggested, I recommend dropping by the dealership so they can get this documented and diagnosed. I'm always happy to do what I can to help as well; send me your info in a PM and I'll get to work. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer to determine how I can best assist.

Thanks!

Crystal

Ford actually has a TSB for this issue. The seats backs are replaced with thicker more durable seat backs. Its been a known issue for awhile. Im a ford proto type engineer so i have all the resource and many solutions to all questions

Ford actually has a TSB for this issue. The seats backs are replaced with thicker more durable seat backs. Its been a known issue for awhile. Im a ford proto type engineer so i have all the resource and many solutions to all questions

And the TSB# is?

And the TSB# is?

I've never seen an actual TSB for this issue. It is merely a Special Service Message informing dealers that there is a more robust panel in use now.

SSM 44221

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never seen an actual TSB for this issue. It is merely a Special Service Message informing dealers that there is a more robust panel in use now.

SSM 44221

So does that mean all newly produced vehicles, and those that get repaired are getting the new panels automatically?

Back