• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area light lens cover

RockyMtnHigh

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4.0 SOHC
Does anyone know how to remove the cover on the cargo area light on a 1998 XLT? I have gotten the cab and back seat ones out (and back in) no problem, but I can't see any tabs on the recangular one in the very back.

I think it just pulls out, on one side. Be careful, and pull on one side or the other too see which way it goes. I think you pull on the side facing the driver's side.

It has two tabs, one on each side. You can use a small screwdriver and pry it a bit. You'll the slots. Pop one side out, and other will come naturally.;)

Thanks Guys! I finally got to this little project tonight.

If anyone else is removing the cargo light, it is the drivers side you remove first. I used a slim slot head screwdriver. The tab is quite long and you will have to push up between the edge of the lens and the headliner to get it to drop down. The entire light assembly is contained in the lens so you wind up holding the lens with the bulb inside and a blade style connector is on the opposite side of the tab - do not push a screwdriver through the passenger side, this is where the wires are.

My lamp had a bunch of crud inside it. I cleaned it out and now I actually have real light in the cargo area.

Once again, thanks.

Back