• Register Today It's free!

Carrier Swap on 8.8

Gone Jeepin

Reaction score
City, State
Danville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Jeep ZJ
Ok I have the Trash lock carrier in my 8.8, and I got a free open carrier, I was gonna run a minispool or weld the carrier and from what I've heard the Limited Slip carrier is weaker than the open. Here's the question...

In the 35c I used to have you could just swap carriers and crap and never have to reshim or set the gears. I put a limited slip carrier in, then eventually a detroit in my 35c and never reset the gears and never had problems....

I'm wondering if the 8.8 is the same way, can I just pop out the ol trash lock carrier bolt the ring gear onto the open one, throw it in there and put the mini spool on? Or is the 8.8 more picky when it comes to tollerances. Thanks guys, and I dunno if this has been covered but I didn't search, so if it has been covered you can just flame me and I'll search, thanks though.
-Nate

You're gonna need to check your backlash. The pinion depth will be fine and chances are you won't need to re-shim. When I swapped out mine for an Auburn, I needed to shave about .005" off of 1 shim - I put some 1000 grit sandpaper on my work bench and rubbed the shim over it to sand it down.

Hope this helps...

J

thanks man, are you like the only person who posts on here? You're the only one who's replied to any of my recent posts.
-Nate

I swaped my Open Carried for a Limited Slip Carrier, and I did not have to change any shims at all. It was an Easy Upgrade to do....

Back