Carriers and regearing?

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
I am wanting to make sure I understand the issue of gear size to carriers.

I have been told that in order to add gears bigger than 4.10 to a 8.8 rear, the rear must be 3.73 or 4.10. For those factory axles with 3.27's the highest you can gear them is 3.73 without a carrier change. Can someone verify this or give me the correct info.

With this in mind how does carrier size and regearing compare from a LS to an Open?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that's wrong.

I think it's 4.30 and below, 4.56 and above; those are the 2 groups. I don't think it makes a difference ls or not.

The cutoff may be 4.88, not 4.56, I'm not sure.

Both wrong

No carrier breaks on the 8.8.

On the 4.56 and higher ratios the cross pin needs notching, or a new one purchased.

L/S or open it still has no carrier breaks.

I believe the front Dana 35 has a break at 3.55 and up.

Better question is what do you have? and what do you want?

I'm just trying to clear up some misunderstandings on this.

But lets say I've got a 3.27 LS and want to go to 4.56's what differences would I see from going from a 3.73 open to 4.10's or 4.56's

For that matter what if I wanted to go to 5.13's on both scenarios.

I'm trying to build a database of all things Explorer related and common questions that come up.

sorry to butt in, but im regearing to 4:56's and id like to subscribe to this thread for info.

from what i've read there aren't different carriers for different gear ratios in regards to the 8.8 I however dont know about the D35 but im willing to bet thats the same.

I have been on the phone all week getting parts for my gear swap I have 3.27 LS now the D35 has a cut off it is like 3.55 or something like that I know that with the 3.27 to fit the 4.56 I need a new empty carrier for the front witch is like $50 if price matters. The now as for the 8.8 there is no carrier break but with going to the 4.56 in it I may need a notched cross pin no big deal you can either notch yours or buy one that is notched like $30. If you add a locker or different LS to the 8.8 they are usually made for the open carrier, so if you have the factory LS you would need an open carrier, unless the locker or LS is made to fit in the LS carrier. I know I am throughing out a lot of info so just ask if its not too clear.

Notched Cross Pin:

i-1.JPG

This is a pic of one I found on eBay a couple of weeks ago. The seller mentioned it being the larger ".875" diameter. Is this the diameter of the Explorer 8.8 cross-pin?

I believe all 8.8's in the explorer's have the larger cross pin

Back