caster/camber Kit after TT. Which kit to buy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

caster/camber Kit after TT. Which kit to buy?

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Hey guys I just did the TT to my 96 Explorer and got 3 inches of lift. Since my truck is AWD I backed it off until I was only lifted 2 inches. My question is what caster/camber kit is the best? According to AC Delco they have one that allows +- 2.25 degrees where as the Moog kit is only 1 5/8.

Also kind of an off question too, but I may upgrade to 31x10.50's in the near future. Will aligning with 29's and then putting 31's on screw up my alignment? Or will everything be lined up properly still? The last thing I'd want to do is put 31's on with new tires and then destroy the tires.

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It shuldnt change it when you go up on tire size, I don't know on the kit but when I did my tt I only had to adjust the toe on it the rest was good and I used a new alighnment machine.

It shuldnt change it when you go up on tire size, I don't know on the kit but when I did my tt I only had to adjust the toe on it the rest was good and I used a new alighnment machine.

So do you think I may not even need a CC kit?

It would be good to have one just incase I know some have had to have it adjusted but mine never changed.

Probably true. My alignment is pulling right at the moment too. I'm worried about jumping to 31's too.

can anyone else confirm that going from 29 to 31's won't effect my alignment? Having a wider tire I'm worried it may effect the alignment. I don't see how but thinking maybe it's possible. I would think once it's locked in it's fine but just want to double and triple check all this.

I can say I went from a 235 to a 33 and have ran 35's with no problems to alighnment but again that's bin my experience.

I can say I went from a 235 to a 33 and have ran 35's with no problems to alighnment but again that's bin my experience.

I wouldn't think you'd notice much, but I'd like to know from a mathematical perspective if it actually matters or not.

ANY time you adjust ride height, camber and toe will change. Required adjustment range depends on height change, not tire size.

Northstar 3.25 degree complete kit for both sides:
http://www.northstarmfg.com/product/44-768-4.html

3.25 even better!

Thanks for the input.

This might be a dumb question but how do I order those bolts off their site haha. Or do I have to call it in?

can anyone else confirm that going from 29 to 31's won't effect my alignment?

Do literally anything you want with the wheels and tyres and it absolutely won't effect your alignment.

Fact, not opinion.

After you've finished adjusting the height definately get a wheel alignment.
It should change but sometimes it only changes within specifications.

Do literally anything you want with the wheels and tyres and it absolutely won't effect your alignment.

Fact, not opinion.

After you've finished adjusting the height definately get a wheel alignment.
It should change but sometimes it only changes within specifications.

I know for me caster and camber after a lift has stayed in spec but toe ends up off. I've done many lifts for myself and customers on many make and model vehicles.

I know for me caster and camber after a lift has stayed in spec but toe ends up off. I've done many lifts for myself and customers on many make and model vehicles.

It's the toe that chews the tyres.

My trucks alignment was screwed before I did the lift. So I'm definitely getting it done anyway; just want to wait for the suspension to fully settle before I go.

ANY time you adjust ride height, camber and toe will change. Required adjustment range depends on height change, not tire size.

Northstar 3.25 degree complete kit for both sides:
http://www.northstarmfg.com/product/44-768-4.html

I looked on that website, but it doesn't say if it is 3.25 degree total or 6.5 degree total. Anybody know?

Edit: I called Northstar. They confirmed it is indeed a total of 6.5* adjustment. They are out of MN, so I asked where I can get them locally.
They gave me a Part# for NAPA auto. They provide them under Federal Mogul packaging, and supply Napa. :)

Edit #2 : Napa part is different then the part they gave me. I called Northstar back, the sales rep didn't know for sure what the degree was after talking to him more. He gave me a supplier # to ask to verify the degrees of these. After talking to a supplier rep, they called Northstar tech, and told me these are only 1.5/8 +/- for a total of 3.25*. Nevermind the 1st edit, these won't work for me. :(

Great info, thanks for the heads up. IMO, Northstar is deceptive listing 3.25 degrees
without specifying it's TOTAL adjustment. Every other manufacturer says plus or minus.

Ingalls 29000 is a +/- 2.25* kit that offers the most adjustment after this Northstar joke.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191742

I have the A/C delco +/- 2* for a total of 4* kit now. I have them maxed out and need more adjustment to remove the negative camber. If I could find a larger set then the Ingall 4.5* set, that would rock. I would open up the bolt slot on the frame to get more adjustment if I could find a larger cam kit. I haven't had any luck yet, and am afraid that I will need a longer UCA to get what I need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the A/C delco +/- 2* for a total of 4* kit now. I have them maxed out and need more adjustment to remove the negative camber. If I could find a larger set then the Ingall 4.5* set, that would rock. I would open up the bolt slot on the frame to get more adjustment if I could find a larger cam kit. I haven't had any luck yet, and am afraid that I will need a longer UCA to get what I need.

Well that's good info to know. I'm glad I only did a 1.5" TT or I would probably be in the same boat since I got the Northstar pieces. I hate when manufacturers use deceptive advertising like that. Makes me never want to buy their product.

What do you have done to your truck that you need so much adjustment? Are you sure something isn't bent or out of wack?

Back