• Register Today It's free!

Caster problem.

slayheff

Reaction score
City, State
indianapolis, indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer limited 5.0
I have a 2000 Explorer AWD 5.0L, with 98,000 miles, and just had the right side ball joints replaced. My Explorer tracked straight before this replacement. The repair shop tells me that after aligning the tires, that the passenger side caster is adjusted to the max, but that the wheel has been pushed back due to parking blocks / potholes. This Explorer has never been in an accident. They said this problem will not affect tire wear, but now it tracks to the right. I HATE that it does this. Their solution was that I could take it to a frame shop and have the frame stretched?? Is there any advice? Is there any way to repair this problem?

The upper control arm has over an inch of caster adjustment, and they prob screwed it up replacing the upper arm. Most alignment places will set the toe and let it go and make you replace a bunch of parts for no reason to fix your "problem".

If you look at the Right upper control arm the outer part of the arm should be close to center of the studs. Depending on how much of the "slot" is left on each side is how much +/- caster you can adjust. Move the arm toward the front of the truck to make caster more positive. There is only caster adjustments on the right side.

Back