• Register Today It's free!

cat question

mlcase27

Reaction score
City, State
lagrange indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
My catalytic converter is going bad or just clogged not sure, it is the original, new ones are expensive! Can I run her withought one or will it f*#k **** up??? Emissions are not regulated here, Indiana

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Running without one is illegal. If a cop feels like looking under it for any reason, and he doesn't see a cat, you can get fined. If your state does inspections, it won't pass. I'd look around online for one.

a universal one from a shop I have used for years only charge $250 installed

Will it make her run worse? Less efficient? Loader? Ext?

If the combs collapse it will choke out the engine and it wont run, same thing if the combs fall apart and clog up the muffler.

You will lose power as well if it's not completely clogged.... it will feel like it takes forever to go.

You can hollow them out and it won't hurt performance in the slightest. It will probably get a little louder, but if you have a good muffler, it won't be bad. Its probably a good idea to put a piece of pipe all the way through to keep it open. If you just break all the insides up, it can block air flow. I would gut your catalytic converters now, but if you plan on keeping it more than a couple years, I would plan on getting new ones soon. They do a lot for emissions, and everyone needs to do their part to help out.

Back