• Register Today It's free!

Catalytic Converter Value??

catfisher81

Reaction score
City, State
London, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Ford Ranger XLT
I installed a 40 series flowmaster. I removed the everthing from the y back and i must say it sounds great. I wanted to take the catalytic converter to a local salvage yard here in London, Ky and was wondering what it would bring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I work at a exhaust shop here in NC and we have a guy that comes and picks ours up and we usually get any where from 45 to 125 for Ford explorer and ranger converters depending on how heavy loaded they are

What is in them that makes them so valuble?

appriciate the knowledgable input guys.

Seriously, people have been cutting them out from under peoples trucks (stealing them) in their driveways in Cali to get the recycle money from those. :thumbdwn:

Removing the catalytic converter for a street driven vehicle might also bring you a $5,000 fine and a 5-year prison term, not to mention the health issues involved with breathing the toxic gases from the exhaust.

Replacement of the factory converter with a high-flow unit, either a bolt-on replacement, or a single aftermarket 3-way unit is well worth it.

I have a FEW sets of Explorer Catalytic Convertors...all from Explorers and Navajo's that I have parted out over the years. Both of my Current Explorers have their Cat's Installed. Even the 5.0L in my `92 has all 4 cat's currently installed.

The local yard only gives 10-20 ea. for the convertors.

Ryan

Back