• Register Today It's free!

catalytic converter

davidhicks16

Reaction score
City, State
oreana il
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
Can any one answer me this. On my 94 EX I have 2 catalytic converters and they are old and getting clogged up. When i replace the converters do i have to put 2 back on to be legal, or can i run with just one. Also can i move it back so my new tranny servos dont get cooked.

AND LET ME CLARIFY I DO NOT WANT TO REMOVE MY CATS, I JUST WANT TO REPLACE THEM!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You would need to look up your states laws regarding replacement emission equipment. It would not be legal here in Calif, but it could possibly be ok where you live although I doubt it.

Also, moving the cat backwards wouldn't be allowed here because it would take longer for the cat to heat up - again it might be allowed where you live.

anything before the last 02 sensor needs to be there. anything after that should be there, but varies state to state

If they require you to keep your cats. you could always get highflow cats.

The "2 converter" systems on the first gen Explorers isn't really 2 converters, it's one converter split into 2 housings, the first one doing the reducing, the second one doing the oxidation.

I would say for emissions performance, it might be preferable to replace it with the same thing, since the reducer is very close to the Y-pipe connection and would heat up the catalyst faster. However, direct-fit replacement converters are over $200, whether you get them from Walker, Magnaflow, or even lesser known companies. The benefit to these is you can turn some bolts (or break off some rusted ones and get new bolts) and replace it yourself.

You CAN throw on a universal 3-way high-flow converter (mounted where the 2nd housing is in the stock system), and just take up the rest of the space with 2.5" or 2.25" pipe, but the fab work on the Y-pipe end where the tube is ovalized usually leads to an expensive pipe just the same. Some shops will just take a tube and stretch the end to fit, which is ok, but you wind up with a very thin section of pipe if a 2.25 pipe is stretched to fit this connection. I'd prefer to have two pipes cut and welded to a third center pipe to make a clean, stretch-free oval tube. You also might want to have the same kind of gasket end at the muffler pipe as OEM, since it allows the heavy muffler and exhaust to flex on the rear rubber mounts.

I wouldn't move the converter back any farther than where the stock 2nd housing is, otherwise it might never get hot enough to do it's job properly, and you might wind up with a poor flowing system.

If you don't have one already, I'd suggest getting a cat-back exhaust while you're replacing the converter. A Dynomax Super Turbo is great, and they make a complete cat-back system with mandrel-bent pipe. I'd suggest getting the system for the 91-92 and changing the muffler hanger on the '94 to the 91-92 style. This lets you use the muffler that's 2.25" front and rear for better flow. The 93-94 systems use a dinky 2" pipe between the converter and muffler, and also have the muffler hang down lower due to the single rear mount.

I am going to say check your local (State) laws. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. There is no sensor after the cats on the 1st gen, so as long as your allowed, I can't see why not.

Here in Alberta, Canada, we can cut them out and throw straight pipes on if we want (providing it isn't loud...) I am currently looking into replacing the stock unit with a single high flow. I plan to cut the big ugly flange off the existing cat and weld a piece of 2.5" tubing to it, then the new cat, then more 2.5" tube then to my Cherry Bomb Vortex that I got for CHEAP. Hopefully sounds not to ricey when I'm done.

If you can find a good deal on the stock set up in a higher flow version or whatever, I would go that route first. My exhaust shop here said less than $150 to just cut everything out and put my muffler in...(again, this is totally legal where I live) so that is a tempting option. I know that a well running vehicle could pretty much pass any current emissions testing even with no cat so this is still a possibility for me. I guess we'll see.

Back