• Register Today It's free!

Catalytic Converters

1991fordexploder

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT stock
has anyone ever taken the Catilytic Converters of of a first gen ex i mean no exhaust at all, just exhaust manifold and Y-Pipe? how does it sound?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

havent taken y pipe with the pre cats or cat off yet but i do have a glass back exhaust i heard of someone elce with the 4.0 who took off the y pipe pre cats and just ran a single cat with no muffler and it sounded like a v8

if you remove the cats and muffler it is loud but i found it to be really annoying on long drives. i have no cat, a flowmaster 40 series and 2.5"pipe all the way from my headers and it sounds great.

i have pulled the exhaust off at the y and ran it just for a few just to c wat it would sound like and yeah it is very loud!! right now i got a flowmaster muffler with the cats hollowed out for the time being and it sound pretty good that way until i can get the cat shells out of there and just pipe in its replace:D

I ran with just a y-pipe after I swapped my 4.0 just to test drive it. It's so loud I couldn't even hit WOT and it sounds like ****. There is no reason to remove the cat and straight pipes on most engines sound like ass. Not to mention you kill your exhaust velocity and low end.

well i dont want to leave it straight pipe, i want to put a super 44 OFFROAD, or a super40 on, in place of the cats.

would it still pass a smogg or whatnot if you took off a 2nd gen 2nd cats?

or are all 4 needed? whats the deal

i have gutted cats but when i go to the local mud boggs i take them completely off it kinda sounds like a 302 with a timing issue at idle, ive had people ask me if i had a 302 at stop lights. but in florida we dond have emmissionns test so i dont know about that question.

would it still pass a smogg or whatnot if you took off a 2nd gen 2nd cats?

or are all 4 needed? whats the deal

It depends on your area.. In the republic of California, No.. it would never pass..

In CA you have to have OEM cats and all of them.

Here in AZ I replaced the two OEM cats with a single high flow cat and passes with no problems.

~Mark

It sounds...loud.

I think the sound tends to vary some between engines, or people just have different ideas of what sounds good.

The 4.0 OHV V6's I've heard with the muffler & cats off have been insanely loud and very throaty, not as loud as a wide open V8, and not as much of the ground-shaking rumble, but still pretty wild.

Doesn't really matter much though, since they don't run well like that.

Back