• Register Today It's free!

Catalytic converters

Got2bneo

Reaction score
City, State
Twentynine Palms, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 5spd
I was wondering if i could do a quick fix and cut off my pre cats for a better sound. If i did this would i have problems with the O2 sensors before and after the pre cats?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will have problems with throwing codes if you remove the two that come down from the manifold, but you will not have any trouble removing the third one. If you don't have a welder, just cut it off and take it to a shop to get a pipe put into place. Tell them it had a hole so you just cut it out to save them time;)

Not sure if you can do this with explorers, but with mustangs when they put off-road pipes on, they can turn the 02 sensors off with the handheld tuners.

thanks. i was wondering that for some time now. lol

as mentioned above you cant take out the 2 cats on the Y-pipe without throwing codes, but you can drop the 3rd cat and put a muffler of choice on an it will sound louder...

Just wondering, what can i expect from putting on a high flow cat system? I see that Eastern Catalytic makes a complete front and rear cat system for around $500. I already have a magnaflow exhaust.

The gain is not worth the money because the gain will be minimal at best. If you had forced induction and pushing 400+HP, then I would consider getting rid of them then. The only reason you should really gain anything from high flow cats are if the stockers have burnt out and clogged up(on a near stock motor).

I'd save a little more money get a CAI and tuner from Hensonperformance.com. That will give you a greater gain than the HF cats ever will.

Thats some good info thanks. I have the KKM CAI (waiting until after christmas to install, lol) and was looking at getting bamachips tune, also after christmas (damn presents)!

Hey mate i know that down here in australia we can get the rear 02 sensors turned off so that ur able to run hi flow cats or no cats if u choose. ive just cut open my cats and pulled all the ceramic out because they were breaking up and starting to block my exhaust.

yeah I just removed my stock exhaust today and the 3rd cat or resonator, built my own with a magnaflow with a 3" single in and 3" dual out and used 409 stainless tubing and tig welded it all except where I used s stainless muffler clamp at the y-pipe everything else is welded and I have it exit right in front of the driver rear wheel and sounds awesome, I basicly did the same thing on my 2003 f150 5.4 v8 It had sounded good but this X with the 4.6 sounds meaner I love the way it sounds:D

Back