• Register Today It's free!

CEL; Poor performance

994x4Sprt

Reaction score
City, State
Anderson, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I posted earlier about my X wantin to bog down when it was cold. Also, when it warms up at full throttle it acts like something is causing it to hold back. When you ease back on the throttle a little bit, it takes off like a bottle rocket. So, I went to Advance Auto tonight and got the codes checked for the CEL and here's what it gave: P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2), P0161 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2), and P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1). Anybody have an idea what may be causing this? I took it to a friend of the family's who happens to be a good mechanic and he said he thought it may be because of the muffler that I put on it.......exhaust come off the cats to where the factory muffler was and instead there's a Forza-flow dual in/dual out muffler with turndowns. He said he thinks that I don't have enough back pressure and that's what causing my problem?? Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that shouldnt cause the problem. you may have a vacuum leak, that would cause a system to lean code, or maybe a bad injector. there could be a lot of things that may cause that code. it very well could be the muffler, its hard to tell when your so far away.

i would try changing out the o2's then see where you are

I hope not bexause I just changed all 4 of them in August...?

MAF sensors change the mixture, and are very sensitive to dust build up. They could also cause a lack of power, and hesisitation. There are a few threads in the forum that discuss cleaning procedures.

O2 heater codes can be caused by the heaters not receiving 12v with the key on. Blown fuse, cut wire, bad ground, etc.

Well I figured it out. The clip that hold the wires for the O2 sensor somehow broke. This caused the wires to fall down onto the exhaust pipe and the connection melted and shorted the o2 sensors out. So I had to replace the connection and everything is working fine now. Thanks for the help.

Back