Ceramic Brake Pads

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
I'm having some serious issues with brake dust, as in it's getting everywhere in my rim. It's just started when I switched over to using the Duralast brand instead of the cheapos from the other store we won't mention.

The older man at Autozone said he's used ceramic brake pads and they don't make to much of a mess. Does anyone else have any experience with them? and is there a good brand out there, this is all I"ve found on Autozone's site.

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP112678...partType,01233/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

They're by the "Morse" company in case the link doesn' work properly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

since technically this is a new day. i'm going to go ahead and bump it. i know there's someone using ceramics

Autozone actually isnt the best but I purchased these pads for mine and I dont notice any brake dust but also my wheels are black but even with the black wheels I did notcie alot of dust when I ran the regular autozone pads.
http://www.autozone.com/R,APP112781...partType,01233/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

That's pretty expensive. I wonder if it's a regional thing. I guess I"ll try some sort of ceramic next go around.

I'm planning on running white rims eventually. Brake dust would KILL the look.

since technically this is a new day. i'm going to go ahead and bump it. i know there's someone using ceramics

Hey, Josh...you can tell from my signature what I'm running. I made the switch in January of this year, when I was doing BJ's, TRE's, and RAB's...an overall exciting project. I believe you were doing your BJ's at that time as well. We are both members of the 2WD club.

I made the switch for several reasons. I too was running Duralast Gold pads...stopped OK but hated the dust. I also needed new rotors, and I was looking for performance gains in braking. I researched ceramic pads on this site, and the consensus was that ceramic pads on stock rotors would warp them quickly. There were some who did not have this problem. My guess is that conservative driving (braking) was the factor that allowed some to use ceramic without hurting the rotors. I would not call myself an aggressive driver, but I know that all it takes is one panic stop to ruin a rotor.

Thus, I opted for the PowerStop products. I have not been disappointed. There is a little dust, kind of a very light green in color, but only noticeable if I go longer than a month between washes. But the big gain is the performance. They definitely stop better than the Duralast pads...smoothly and with zero fade. Yes, they were expensive, but are well worth the money. Frankly, I think the Explorer should have come stock with this kind of braking. It has given me more confidence in my ability to handle any braking situation.

Hope this helps.:usa:

That's pretty expensive. I wonder if it's a regional thing. I guess I"ll try some sort of ceramic next go around.

I'm planning on running white rims eventually. Brake dust would KILL the look.

There two totally different pads I bought the PFC Carbon-Metallic pads and not the morse ceramics. Also brake dust shields are an option

I'm having some serious issues with brake dust, as in it's getting everywhere in my rim. It's just started when I switched over to using the Duralast brand instead of the cheapos from the other store we won't mention.

The older man at Autozone said he's used ceramic brake pads and they don't make to much of a mess. Does anyone else have any experience with them? and is there a good brand out there, this is all I"ve found on Autozone's site.

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP112678...partType,01233/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

They're by the "Morse" company in case the link doesn' work properly.

it's funny you bring this up josh ....both my trucks (colorado and the explorer) got the durablast break pads on them and your right they do produce a lot of dust .the x when i got it had almost no pad material left and i put on the duralast brand on it and i have driven it about 7-8 k and they really produce a lot of dust.my coloardo......thats a different story all together.....i put those on about 4 k ago and i thought that my calipers were sticking from alll the dam dust ( it does it worse than the explorer by far) and not to mention that every time i give it a little peddle the breaks squeel really bad (rotors are fine ) the pads i took off the chevy were a split design pad and the duracrap was a uniform pad .

i think when these fineally grind themselve's down (all over my rims...sigh) i'm going to find a better brand to go with like raybestos are some other quality manufacturer because these thing on both the trucks are a ***** to keep clean .

they working out for you al ? hows the stopping power and break fade ?

I appreciate all the replies, really i do.

I definitely think when these wear down i'll be switching to the ceramics. whenever i get these white rims i want, i want to be able to see them.

haven't thought about the brake dust shield or whatever, but i'll definitely look into them now

brake dust aside

I wonder if people still use organic pads. They were easier on the rotors and braking was better. Every parts store I went to only would sell the junk type pads. Auto zone claims they could not even order anything other than Duralast.

Hmm... organic pads? I think I rember those or were they clutch discs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back