• Register Today It's free!

Ceramic Pads?

ricco750

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93XLT4X2 (3:27 LimSlip)
Has anyone had experience with using ceramic pads on the front rotors? I've been using AZ's "Duralast Gold" carbon pads for the last 10 years, but I'm really getting tired of all the black dust on my wheels. I'm gonna be putting on new rotors, so I figured this would be a good opportunity to switch. I was looking at RockAuto's site, lots of choices for pads...RayBestos, Wagner, Akebono. Any opinions about the brands, as well?:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have ceramics on my other truck. Great quality, never had squealing, and yes, a lot less brake dust on the rims.

I don't like the ceramics on my Explodr. I put them on a few years back and 12,000 miles later my rotors were warped (original). I bought new lifetime warrant rotors (made in Canada) from NAPA. Warped two sets of rotors around 10-11,000 miles. I went back to Metallic and have not had this issue since. I also have a 67 Firebird, where I have Ceramics and they are great. I like the stopping power of the ceramics, but I don't think they are made for your stock rotors and the aftermarket is using cheap metal for rotors today. If you go ceramic, make sure you have a good quality rotor. Something that displaces the extra heat created by the ceramics, (slotted or drilled). My .02

I have a 93 Explorer 4x4 and went with Raybestos QS ceramic pads. Using brand new Motorcraft rotors, the ceramics warped my rotors in under 10K miles (vs. semi-metallics where I'd get 40-60K per brake job). I had them turned, replaced the pads (under warranty as one was cracked), and 7K miles later, they are warping again...

I will never use ceramics on my Explorer again (unless I ante up and buy the $$$ rotors & pads). A little brake dust is a lot less hassle than replacing/turning rotors frequently.

I recently bought new Duralast Gold semi-metallic pads, new Autozone rotors, and new Timken bearings/seals to fix the problem (can't afford the down time of my rotors getting turned, so I'll just swap in a whole new assembly)...

My advice, unless you ante up for the expensive rotors/pads, stick w/semi-metallics...

I have had several shops tell me...

that what ever I do, do not put ceramic pads on my Explorer. They say the ceramics will eat the rotors up in less than a year. I have stayed away from them because new pads costs a hell of a lot less than pads and rotors.

I'm in the camp with the rest of the guys that recommend against ceramic pads on a vehicle not designed for them.

I'd check out the offerings from EBC myself before I went to ceramic.
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

Also, note that slotted rotors DO stop better -- but at a cost... The slots scrub off the surface of the pads every time you brake, which is great for having a clean surface that stops great -- but not so great for pad life.

I have Ford Racing Pads on my White Explorer, but I don't have enough driving time on them to give any indication of wear.

I used to have Ceramics on old brake set-up, and my rotors cracked all over...but the stock Brake system on the X is in adequate as it is.

My Green X has always had stock type replacements, nothing fancy. But I can only get 25-30K MAX on the front brakes.

Ryan

Thanks for all of the input...the replies were certainly mixed, but it sounds like in order to go ceramic, a special high performance rotor is necessary. I think I'll stay stock for now.:thumbsup:

You have to match the pads with rotors. Get cheap rotors & the pads will warp them.

That said I've run Power stop slotted rotors & Satisfied ceramic pads for over 2 years now. Never a problem. Silent, no dust, & stops. No warpage.

Another way to cut down on dust is to install a set of brake dust shields. I have these on my 93 Sport.

You have to match the pads with rotors. Get cheap rotors & the pads will warp them.

That said I've run Power stop slotted rotors & Satisfied ceramic pads for over 2 years now. Never a problem. Silent, no dust, & stops. No warpage.

OK, I'll take a look at this combo, thanks.

I have had ceramics for 5 years now and I have never had a problem. They are Bosch lifetime. Only had to change them once, I have the stock rotors still too! They stop my 33's just fine.
I did do a four wheel disc brake conversion though.

Ceramics are on other vehicle, they work great, and leave a lot less brake dust.

OK, I changed my mind...I ordered Powerstop drilled rotors and ceramic pads. What the heck, it's only money! We'll see how they do.

Back