• Register Today It's free!

Cherry Bomb?

burtonbrd138

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exhaust is a matter of personal opinion-what I may like you might think sounds like crap--to each his own.

Search the site and you will see what I mean. There are several muffler and exhaust threads--

Do you have a 4.0 liter or 5.0 liter engine?

i have a 4.0 and short on cash so the cherry bombs are cheap. How much is the flowmaster 40?

Goto youtube and type in Ford Explorer Cherry bomb

ya i have done that but i dont know if i should get the glass pack or the turbo muffler and in what size.

i got dual 40 series flows on my 01 sport and i paid like 350 for mine.

$60

Got my Magnaflow for $60 for the polished stainless steel (won't rust). Which should have been more expensive than the satin stainless steel (rock chips will rust it). But I've been happy with it. Look around online and you can usually find better deals that you even imagined. I got mine from partsplusautostore.com Great service. Although I ended up getting two mufflers even though I paid for one. Shipped it back to him and got a 10% discount. Still haven't used it though.

Like the other guy said, you'll hear different opinions from everyone. I've never heard a lot of good about Flowmaster other than the sound. I love my Magnaflow, I always figured that just running through a straight tube with deadening material around it was the best way to have your exhaust. Quiet it down and give it the most flow.

The only thing that I'd watch for with cheaper mufflers is the rust. I also had to buy a y-pipe for mine so that was another $30, plus the time it took to cut off the exhaust and weld up the new one.

Just save your money until you can afford a flowmaster. I tried a cherry bomb on my Explorer and I hated it, sounded to raspy and it was just an overall crappy muffler. The flowmaster 40 sounds good, get that installed with 2.5" piping and you won't be dissapointed. Mine is right where I like it, you can hear it really nice between 1500-2000 rpms, and when it gets above that it quiets down. Perfect for highway driving.

I think it still comes down to personal taste. It is your truck and you can do what you want with it. If I were you though, for the sake of trying it out and the experience of putting it on, I'd go with the cherrybomb but i'd keep the old muffler as a back up. Around where i live, i could get one for 30 bucks...it's woth a shot :D

I've heard 4.0s with just a cherrybomb and they've sounded decent but i'm not sure if they removed the Cats or not.

I would not recommend the Cherrybomb Turbo or the glasspack. I do however recommend their Vortex, Pro or elite mufflers, though if you want really loud, the extreme is a good choice as well, but extremely loud. I had the Pro on my sport and it was perfect, and now have the Vortex on my Frontier and it sounds great, just a bit on the loud side.

Dan

I had a flowmaster 40 on m y 94 and loved it. Could had been a tad louder though. I just put the flowmaster 40 on my new 92. It's more quiet than my 94 but I'm hoping it will get louder as it breaks in.

the cherrybomb is loud but it's personal taste if you like the quality of sound it outputs. I haven't had a cherry bomb on my Explorers but I've heard some clips and I didn't particularly like it. On the other hand, I had a cherrybomb on my Mustang V6 and liked it.

If you are short on cash and want a different/louder exhaust sound, go for it. it will at least keep you content for a while. if you have any way of saving though, I'd save up for a different one.

I had the Flowmaster 40 series Cat-Back installed at Meineke Mufflers last month - $381 including "Y" adapter. Over the course of the month it burned in and the tone got deeper and louder to the point where I drive around with the stereo off, the A/C on and the windows rolled down just to get the full effect!

Along with the CAI, this has made a noticable difference in power and about a 5% increase in mileage over stock.

But like was said by others, it is all a matter of personal taste. But I love the fact it sounds like a '70 BOSS-302....

Mike

what is the loudest cherry bomb they make?

ok so im getting a cherry bomb and i want to know what one will be the loudest thanks and let me know

ps im new so help me out :D

go with the cherry bomb extreme its what i has on my 5 speed 96 sport its pretty loud on the highway it quiets down i love it

sorry my bad meant to say its what i have*

I want to go get a Cherry Bomb today as a temporary exhaust fix. I want it to be as simple as possible to install and I want to use clamps just in case I absolutely hate it I want to be able to switch it back with little to no effort. What size of inlets and outlets do I need to get for a 1997 4.0L SOHC?

for mine the inlet was 2 and1/4 for outlet is 2 and 1/2

Back