Ceramic Brake Pads | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ceramic Brake Pads

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ceramic pads

I put ceramics on my wife's Lexus RX300, and no brake dust at all (at least that I can see). I purchased them at Advance/Parts America for around $40.00 for front, and I think they were Friction Master. Here is a link that I stumbled on that gives good review of advantages:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakestechpage-1/88.shtml

Maybe someday I can spring for them on my '94 Exploder Ltd.

I went to ceramics back in 2002 on the advice of my friend who is a mechanic. I was getting about 13,000 out of Raybestos brake pads before I had to change them. I put ceramics on (NAPA brand) and got about 18,000 miles before I had to change pads, at that time needed new rotors. Bought Lifetime Warranty from NAPA and a new set of pads. New rotors warped about 12,000 miles. Took those rotors back and replaced with the warranty. Rotors warped again at about 12,000 miles. Took them back, NAPA said they weren't chinese rotors, but Canadien blanks. Bought some semi-metallic pads from PartsAmerica called Wearever Gold (I could only get online). I am getting about 25,000 out these pads and no warping. When ceramics first became big, I put them on all my cars and my friends and relatives too. My 67 Firebird is the only rotor that has not warped. Those rotors are expensive aftermarkets from Stainless Steel Brakes. My thoughts are if you are not going to replace the rotors with a good aftermarket rotor (either slotted or drilled) don't use the ceramics. Ceramic does not disipate heat, all the heat is going to the rotor, which is causing the warpage, (and also that the rotors are not good metal from china). In my humble opinion.

I agree entirely with Explodr94. Ceramic pads warp the rotors well before they are worn out. The brakes on our trucks work hard and the rotors are not designed to take the heat from ceramics. I believe ford originally used semi-metallic pads as that was what I was offered at the dealer.

The moron mechanic I went to put ceramic pads and cheap rotors on (arrgh), after only a few thousand miles, I've got the foot masager effect going on. My next brake job (which needs to be done now, warping is getting unsafe) is gonna be all motorcraft parts...

I agree entirely with Explodr94. Ceramic pads warp the rotors well before they are worn out. The brakes on our trucks work hard and the rotors are not designed to take the heat from ceramics. I believe ford originally used semi-metallic pads as that was what I was offered at the dealer.

The moron mechanic I went to put ceramic pads and cheap rotors on (arrgh), after only a few thousand miles, I've got the foot masager effect going on. My next brake job (which needs to be done now, warping is getting unsafe) is gonna be all motorcraft parts...

Yeah, i'm pretty sure I have warped rotors. Feels like the ABS is kicking in at the SLIGHTEST touch of the brakes, but i know it's not ABS. I think this sumer whenever I finish my front suspension, i'll go ahead and upgrade to the slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads.

Hey just a question, do slotted/drilled rotors resist warpage better than a standard rotor? I mean you spend all this money for those rotors and they wind up warping and you have to buy new ones again and I know they arent cheap.

Hey just a question, do slotted/drilled rotors resist warpage better than a standard rotor? I mean you spend all this money for those rotors and they wind up warping and you have to buy new ones again and I know they arent cheap.

They resist warpage better because they dissipate heat faster. PowerStop...when you purchase their pads and rotors together...warrants their product for 3 years or 36,000 miles, and the warranty INCLUDES normal wear and tear. I have not had to deal with them yet in this regard.:usa:

I just finished my front brakes. Well honestly, i finished one side then got the lazies. I went with the ultra cheapo deluxe at autozone. I am hope they just wear out and leave the rotors alone. This buying pads is new to me, I can usaully find a nice set of pads at the bone yard. I must be getting softer or smarter in my old age!

Back