Changing 1st gen grill and headlight bezels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing 1st gen grill and headlight bezels

I don't like my chrome looking grill any more so I was able to get a grill set from a wrecked sport so I said sure lets do it.
Here's the before shot.
IMG_5150.jpg

So to get started open up your hood and remove the plastic retainer screws all the ways across
IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

and remove the plastic valance thing to expose the screws holding the grill and the headlight bezels to the body
IMG_5153.jpg

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

There are only two philips screws holding the grill to the body. Remove these.
IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

After the screws are removed, if you look down where the screws were you can see the clips that hold the grill on, mine were plastic on my original grill one was broke but this is what it should look like
IMG_5159.jpg

Here is my broke clip
IMG_5161.jpg

I used a flat head screw driver to press the other clip down to help remove the grill with out breaking the other clip after this you should be at this point.
IMG_5162.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

Now for the headlight bezels. As like the grill there are two screws in the top of the bezels on both sides.
IMG_5164.jpg

Now when you have the screws out this is where it gets somewhat more difficult there are three metal clips on the bottom of the bezels that make it a PITA to get the bezels off. Patience is key. Start working the bezel back and forth while pulling out if you pull from the bottom side you shouldn't have any issues breaking anything.
Here are the metal clips
IMG_5166.jpg

After you get the bezels off remove the light bulbs from the side marker
IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

And the comparison
IMG_5169.jpg

Now that all of it is removed do the process in reverse.
IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5172.jpg

IMG_5173.jpg

IMG_5174.jpg

IMG_5176.jpg

IMG_5175.jpg

This was a good project to change up my appearance fun and challenging.

lycan91- Good Post

Thanks for posting this excellent procedure. You are a true Explorer partisan by taking the time and care to produce such an quality post. It was very helful in my recent remodel of the front end.

I replaced my 1991 XLT original old, frosted headlights and all new headlight kits as well as a new OEM grille. I relamped the new headlights with Luminics Krypton Series 5500K titanium white 9004 bulbs and the output is blistering white hot light through the nice, new, crystal clear lenses.

I also replaced my bumper with an aftermarket part and used the original braces. (My wife dinged the old bumper and it was bent). The new vinyl bumper strips don't fit as snug as the original due to a wimpy mounting scheme, but they are passable.

The front end looks brand new, and now to the paint shop to repaint the entire front end (new hood, original fenders). The roof was repainted 5 years ago and now the hood has eroded to the primer.

Thank you. I would love to see some pictures if you have any of your new parts.

Idk the black pieces look cheap compared to the chrome. Well technically they WERE cheaper.

Back