Changing Fuel Filter in 91-94 X

BTRs X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Maysville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XL 4x4
I have been looking for the thread that covers how to change the fuel filter in a 92 X.......any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you having probs with yours. i read you shouldnt change it unless so. but if im wrong its on the drivers side frame rail. should be just a clamp on each side or something of the such. just make sure your flow direction is correct.

Cool.....Im just chaning filters, plugs, wires, bulbs, and cleaning the truck up for summer.

I wonder why you arent supposed to change it?

Man I hate it when you post on my things.....it makes me want to go ahead and raise my truck more!
:D

I took it offroad last weekend at Livingston, KY and it impressed me and a few Jeeps considering I was following them pulling a trailer with a 4wheeler on it!

Thanks.

well im not sure id like to know to. but i read it in the haynes manual i will look again to see if theres a reason. unless someone chimes in and answeres that.

it just says that the filter should last the life of the vehichle and only change if clogged. also it says to relieve pressure first by locating the inertia switch and disabling the fuel pump. but i think thats only for fire hazards.

Trust me relieve the pressure first. When you are under a truck the last thing you want is fuel spraying. After disabling the pump crank the engine some. Have the new filter at the ready before removing the old one too. And do NOT have your face under the thng. Trust me. Gas not only tastes bad but REALLY burns eyes. I know this one FAR too well

I changed my 94 and I found it has what is called a "duck bill clip". You will need a special tool to get remove it. I did mine without the the tool and it was very difficult. I just about distroyed the clips removing the filter.

slim

i just bought the fuel filter at wal mart and took it to jiffy lube and they put it on for 15 bucks

Thanks......the Explorer maintenance section was the one I was looking for.:D

My fuel cutoff switch was kinda weird for me.. I always read about having to push it in while the car was running.. With mine I had to find a way to pull it up (the button itself).. After I finally figured out I needed to pull it up, the engine shut off almost immediately.

To start the fuel flow again, I had to push the button back down.

Is it like this for all 1st gens or did I get a freak?

the inertia switch is not supposed to trip unless it gets a good hard hit. The button is for resetting it, when it does trip.
The easiest way, when you're trying to replace the fuel filter, is to just disconnect the plug going into the inertia switch, then cranking the engine 'til it dies.

After a minute of trying to get that connector to the inertia switch off I decided to pull out the fuel pump relay instead and then crank the engine. There wasn't any pressure when I took the filter off.

Also, most auto part places have a little plastic or metal tool that has little 1/8" tabs on the end. NAPA sells it for $18, knock-off from another place was $3. They say they are for the fuel lines on 4.0 Fords, but I found getting the generic 5/16" or 3/8" hose disconnector that looks like scissors works better. The other product are those plastic rings that can also be used on the A/C system. They work well, but the leverage isn't as good as the scissor one.

I took a lot of trips to the parts stores the afternoon I took it off. :)

BTW, my '94 didn't have those clips, but the replacement fuel filter came with them.

You will definitely need the Duck Bill tool. I replaced mine 2 months ago. Could not get filter off without it.
The Haynes manual gives you basic steps on how to do it. Don't skip the step on removing the pressure from the system. Gas tastes bad......

My Ex had 164k when I replaced mine. I'm not sure how long Ford figures these thing will last ("the life of the vehicle") but i thought with 164k, it was probably time.

I remember reading in a manual somewhere, that it said to replace it after 60k miles. I swear I did, anyway...

And you CAN remove those clips without that "special" tool. I was careful, and just used a small flat-head screwdriver and had absolutely no problems. Then again, the new fuel filter also came with new clips.

did mine last fall. this is what you need to know:

the easiest was to del with the inetra switch is, while still running, go over tho the front seat pass side and just behind where the capret starts on the firewall, there is a little thing with a plug that has only a few wires. that is basically the power line for the inerta switch. unplug it. the vehicle will die shortly but you will want to crank it a few more times.

the filter is just under the front part of the drivers side frame, there is a bracket surrounding it. i couldnt et the bracket off so i had to go around it. you will still get gas on you no matter what so wear ols clothes.

i definately recommend that tool, it will same you much time.

however, if jiffy lube will do the install for 15 bucks or less, just have them do it. start to finish, took me almost an hour because i had to find the switch with no manual to guide me, then figure out how to get aroundthe bracket, then i had to borrow that tool. i also did my oil change at the same time though.

Thanks for all your help.........I will probably do it this weekend!:D

Back