• Register Today It's free!

Changing oil on a 4x4?

PPro

Reaction score
City, State
Whitmore Lake, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
My new Explorer is my first 4x4 vehicle. I change my own oil, I refuse to pay $30 bucks at the oil change places. I've always noticed they charged a lot more to change oil on a 4x4 then a 2 wheel drive car. Why is this? Is there extra stuff I need to do while changing the oil with a 4x4?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What extra do they include in the 4WD service? A 4WD has a transfer case and a front differential that can be serviced, though the recommended service interval is 100K miles.

changing all those things are easy. i had to do the diffs on my toyota several times. (it sure helped that i didnt need to jack it up to get under it, lol). i changed the oil on my 91 yesterday. damn, sure is different then what im used to (5.0L mustangs). i do like how the oil pan bolt is right at the back, so if you have the front jacked up, it will all drain out nicely, and there is nothing in the way for it to drip on. not sure how much oil they take, but i changed the filter, and put 5L in it. i did 4, and ran it for about 30 seconds, then checked it after i let it sit for a minute, and the oil read JUST at the add line. so i put another litre in.

Charging more to change the oil on a 4x4 is just a scam. But people pay for it, so I guess it makes money for these places.

We charge the same - 4x4 or not. We just charge for parts used and .5 hour. I can see why though, part of our service is lubrication of the chassis/driveline, so if your 4x4 has the type of driveshafts that accept a grease fitting, then there is some extra stuff on there that 2wd won't have (i.e. extra driveshaft). But yes, I agree about the over-charging of the soccer moms. I doubt this really makes a big difference, but I believe we charge extra for like a tune-up or such on a lifted vehicle. I had to do a tune up once on a Dodge Ram that was lifted and I had to get a step ladder and then throw a type of cushion onto the top of the engine and then I jumped up and just laid across to do the tune-up. Too bad I left all my spark plugs on the cart! haha. Anyway, live and learn - then do it yourself! Its great being able to save yourself money.

-Drew

Back