Charcoal canister vacuum leak? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RADIOACTIVE_TOOL_SHED___

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro north Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford explorer xlt
Hi everyone I'm missing one cap on my charcoal canister in my 1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 I hear that this cap being missing could cause my idle to fluctuate I currently have it taped up with black tape therses still one last vacuum leak and wondering if this could be causing it?, side note I have fixed the high idle and the rev hang thank you all who helped me track down the other vacuum leaks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone I'm missing one cap on my charcoal canister in my 1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 I hear that this cap being missing could cause my idle to fluctuate I currently have it taped up with black tape therses still one last vacuum leak and wondering if this could be causing it?, side note I have fixed the high idle and the rev hang thank you all who helped me track down the other vacuum leaks,
I could be wrong but I believe that those caps vent. I remember removing those caps when I disassembled my canister and they didn’t appear to completely seal that opening. So you may need to poke some holes in your tape. Check the other cap to be sure

I could be wrong but I believe that those caps vent. I remember removing those caps when I disassembled my canister and they didn’t appear to completely seal that opening. So you may need to poke some holes in your tape. Check the other cap to be sure

This is correct, they do vent.

Wouldn't the canister only see vacuum when the purge valve opens?
I'm chasing a vacuum leak on one of my 94's.
Found the fitting on the purge valve broke off so it's plugged at the throttle body til I get a new one, hasn't fixed my creepy idle though.

Ok thank you will do hopefully it will resolve the idle issue

Back