Replacing the charcoal in a vapor canister | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the charcoal in a vapor canister

1993Saturn

Reaction score
City, State
Redmond, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4
93, 99 Bauer 4x4
Replacing the charcoal in a vapor canister is a project that no one seems to have written about. I thought I would throw my experience out there. So, if you get adventurous and sick of getting junkyard charcoal vacuum canisters that soon throw piles of smelly fumes into the air right when you have the windows down, or at a drive-up, this is it.
I didn't want to have to get a new canister, 'cause it costs $89.00. It cost $10 for the Activated Charcoal pellets from Petco and $5.00 for the epoxy.

Here is the top of the Vapor Charcoal Canister with the caps off. Ain't it all 'purty' after it went and got ready for it's photo shoot!;)
IMG_5887.CR2.jpg

The bottom of the canister is where the 2 parts were put together. I used my pocket knife and rocked the blade into the seam and just keep rocking it around the rim. These 2 pictures are after I separated the 2 parts.
IMG_5889.CR2.jpg

Watch the ends where old glue squeezed out in the seem. It can throw your blade off course.
IMG_5893.CR2.jpg

It doesn't take long. When I opened mine up, there was a pile of charcoal waiting to fall out. The factory filled it wrong, as seen in this photo. There is supposed to be only a few strays that worked their way through the screen. (WHY! did they use pellets that were about the same size as the screen so they could plug up the holes and restrict the air flow!)
IMG_5895.CR2.jpg

There is a foam plug filter in the riser for the in/out tubes over on the right of this photo. Mine had migrated all the way to the top, because it was deteriorated, so I had to use a pick to fetch it. I took another one from a second canister and used a dab of 'shoe goo' to keep it in place at the bottom of the tube, where it is supposed to reside.
IMG_5898.CR2.jpg

I used a 1/4" wood chisel to bend up the tab on the screen retainer spring, before I could get it off. Re-squish it so it will stay on after re-installation.
IMG_5902.CR2.jpg

Use a pick to work out the screen.
IMG_5901.CR2.jpg

At last! The stuff can now be dumped. Mine came with some prehistoric spiders.
IMG_5904.CR2.jpg

IMG_5910.CR2.jpg

There are 2 filters that sit in the top of the canister. A thin layer of foam sponge glued to the perforated plastic.
IMG_5909.CR2.jpg

IMG_5912.CR2.jpg

IMG_5915.CR2.jpg

If they fall out, as mine did, or are loose, use a little 'shoe goo' or something, to stick them back where they belong.
IMG_5918.CR2.jpg

I grabbed a 23 oz. jar of ACTIVATED CARBON (same as charcoal) from Petco. It must be pellets and NOT chunks and NOT coconut hull charcoal. Pellets give a maximum surface area and better air flow through the media, (pellets).
IMG_5919.CR2.jpg

The new pellets are bigger than the original pellets, but they will still do the job. At least they won't all fall through the metal screen because Ford made them too small.
IMG_5921.CR2.jpg

Fill the canister back up with the new media to within 1' of the top. (Yes, I know it is actually the bottom, but we're dealing with gravity). It will take around 3-1/4 cups by volume, with about 1/4 cup left over in the jar. Tap the canister on the bench a few times to settle the media and level it. Re-install the screen. Push on the spring retainer to firmly hold the screen in place. Whip up a blob of epoxy to place all around the bottom plate and then tape the plate into place.
IMG_5924.CR2.jpg

An hour later, it is ready to put back in the vehicle.
DONE!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome writeup! I may have to try this.

What's the purpose of the canister? Does it affect whether my vehicle passes smog?

In California, they will check that it is there.

What does it do? I refer you to this, it explains much better than I can:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/evaporative-emission-control-system1.htm

I have a funny story about California smog checks. Back in the 80's I bought a well used Dodge panel van. It was the stretch version, and the previous owner would take it to the beach and go fishing. They had a bed in the back, it was a pretty sweet setup. It even had the heavy duty spicer rear axle.

Anyway, smog time comes around and I'm sweating bullets because it didn't run that well. The tech runs the VIN number into his computer, comes back and checks that I have a gas cap. PASS. No inspection, no exhaust sniffer, nothing!

The tech reads my face and explains that the van started out as a government vehicle, specifically for a fire department, and it was basically exempt from the typical tests. I had noticed that the van had been repainted white over red paint, so that made perfect sense.

My GF and I drove the heck out of that van. It had a pretty beefy 318, very reliable. Those were good days, good days indeed.

Thank you for the great writeup. I had been smelling gas and was about to spend $115.00 for a new one this weekend.

Thanks for the write up and the link folks! I have bypassed mine because of issues and now I can use this to recondition it and make it work again!!! Bravo...

Back