Chasing a Vibration... Really need some insight | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chasing a Vibration... Really need some insight

Play in the cv cage will cause vibrations.

I am going to say you may have an issue with your AWD t case
Engine mounts or transmission mounts
How many miles on this truck?

All 96-01 V8 trucks are either RWD or AWD, full time AWD

When the front d shaft was removed you said the vibration changed, but was still there? It changed how? Remember taking out the front D shaft just removes the power coming from the t case, the front suspension is still a live axle so everything from the tire to the diff on both sides is still spinning.

He has tried different CV axles, he has tried diff set of wheels and tires. I will assume they adjusted tire pressures when doing this to make sure they are all close
New brakes, new control arms, rebiult driveshafts, new suspension parts and alignment, vibration still present.

Some up and down in and out play in the CV axles is pretty normal

Rockauto should take your return? What reason did they give you for not wanting to refund or exchange?

How is the transmission mount? Engine mounts?

Try this when you have those hard to find vibrations: Put 100 lbs all the way in the back cargo area closest to the hatch opening (I use two bags of water softener salt because that is how I found this), then go for a drive in the conditions that you feel your vibrations and take note if the vibrations are gone, less, or no change. If the vibrations are gone, like was in my case, I had to ask my self why adding 100 pounds to the trunk of my 1986 Buick Regal eliminates the floor board vibrations I have always been feeling. I had a hunch that the body to frame bushings had gone bad, or had been defective all along the life of the car that I purchased used in 1997. After installing new polyurethane bushings in all locations the car finally rode vibration free at all speeds.

Back