Chasing a highway vibration on my 96 Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chasing a highway vibration on my 96 Explorer

Well it looks like I may have finally figured this out. At least part of it. I swapped all my rotors and it seems like 1 of the front rotors was not machined flat and causing one tire to really wobble. After that it got better, much better, but still was not gone. I then moved my tires around again and all of them wobble... (truck jacked up and in gear so I can see them all move) but 1 in particular wobbles a little more than the others (also hops too). So I'm thinking I have a bent rim or just a poorly built wheel.

I have Cragar Soft 8's I got used, so I wouldn't be surprised if one was bent. For 50-60 bucks a rim brand new I get what I pay for I guess. So I may replace 1 of the wheels and leave the rest alone because I have a feeling no matter what I'm going to get some sort of wobble from all my wheels. Even my factory wheel wobbles a little bit.

I think I'm going to replace my other outer tie rod as well because I'm not sure I trust it even though it feels ok. Same goes for my hub and wheel bearing/abs sensor. I hate just throwing money away, but if the passenger side went bad, the drivers side can't be too far behind and a lot of this truck is rebuilt at this point.

Anyway thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully this new wheel will pretty much put this to bed. I think I may have some vibration from my CV's too, but I only get it at full throttle. After I put my limiting straps on the full throttle vibration is not as bad as it once was anyway. So for now I'm going to leave them alone because boots are good and they don't make any noise. This whole mess did cause me to find the ripped steering shaft boot as well as a bad tie rod so not all was lost.

Back