• Register Today It's free!

Cheapest, easiest installed lift.

Lamah

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I'm lookin to get a 4" lift for my 91 explorer and just want some opinions on which is the easiest to install for the least price. I'm new to suspention lifts so i need somthing reasonably easy. I'm estimating that i have ~700-800 dollars to spend on the lift, possibly more. I'll worry about tires later. Any opinions are appreciated.

also, when i compare a jeep to a explorer, i notice a huge difference in the wheel wells;

the jeeps are more of a / \ well that covers less of the wheel.
on the explorers, i see they are more | | and more of the wheel is covered by it. this worries me as to what size tires i will be able to fit because wouldnt they rub the front and back of the wheel well ? i'm sure theres an explanation for how the tires fit, but i'm kinda lost on it.

thanks,
Jeff Aka Lamah

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was just looking on 4wheelparts.com and saw that a superlift 6" kit is only 699 w/ rancho 5000's. i'm leaning towards this right now. any opinions ?

Just remember when you buy this lift there are other cost as well, such as extended brake lines and those are pretty spendy. Does it include the extended pitman arm ? Or does it come with all the drop brackets ? What your paying for is the front, becuase in the rear all your doing is a spring over,. and those you can do for about 10 bucks. PLus the extended brake lines are only for the front you don't need em for the rear.

Plus you will only be able to fit a 33" tire with that lift. I had the 6 inch lift on my truck for about 3 months before doing my own custom lift, and tell you what the 6 inch lift cost me more to do.

hrmm... what did you do for the custom lift ? and how do you do a spring over ? =/

Well I have a leaf sprung full size solid axle in the front.. If you don't know how to do a spring over then maybe you shouldn't think about doing a custom lift.

Spring over - is for the rear end, your bringing the leaf spring fromt the bottom of the axle up to the top of it, this would give you about 5 - 6 inches of lift. and would cost you very little to do..

Anyway, good luck with whatever you do,
Oknut

The Spring over makes sense. I just dont know the terms for stuff. I probably wouldnt do any kind of custom lift because i'd rather just get a kit so it'd be a lot simpler

There's nothing wrong with doing that. Just remember it's not as easy as just ordering the kit and putting it all together. I know it says bolt on. But trust me you will run into a few problems. But that's what we are all here for, to give you a helping hand.

I bet your gonna be going S$^% and G*& $&%^*# when trying to get the pitman arm off.

Well all the best and good luck,
Oknut

hehe, thanks

spring over on late models

what wpould happen if i do a spring over with shackles? what would we do about the front? the TT will not do the trick. wwwe would have a xplorer thatt looks at the floor all the time and A@@ up in the air. anyone has picture of spring over axle that they like to share with me?

Easy way to get the pittman arm , well it's not really easy , but the fastes is to put a puller on the arm with good pressure and hit the arm with a hammer . Make sure you get a heavy dutty puller and watch your face . When it breaks loose it will come flying off , so be carefull . Good luck .

Why not just use a slide hammer. A puller would work, but a slide hammer does wonders.

If you do a spring over on a newer explorer your gonna have to find a way to lift your front about 6 inches, I don't know if they make kits for the newer models. But i'm sure you could make something..

WHAT IF YOU ARENT GOING TO REALLY JUICE THE LIFT , WILL THAT ,TOO, CAUSE PROBLEMS ? I AM REALLY JUST INTERESTED IN GETTING A LIFT FOR THE HIGHER RIDE AND FOR LIGHT SAND DUNNES. ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT WOULD BENEFIT ME THE MOST? ALSO I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO REPLACE ANYTHING THAT WILL LATER HAUNT ME.

Back