cheapest long travel..that i found! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cheapest long travel..that i found!

lira14

Reaction score
City, State
san diego, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 x
hey guys im about to buy a explorer in a few(waiting for next payckeck) and getting a 98 4 door 2wd and im also into long travel and off road racing...and ive been looking at this site for a while and saw that all you guys that want long travel arent willing to pay that much so i wanted to see whats the cheapest long travel you can find...just to help out people (like me :D)

heres one...
http://btf-fabrication.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=37

and another one
http://www.brenthelindustries.com/bajakits.asp?WPID=54

they dont have any much info on the chase kit...called them and they were to busy but left my info so they can call back and also sent them an e-mail

anyone else found anything cheaper?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You do realize that the lift will cost more than the car, right?

I've never seen any brenthel kit on an explorer, but the midtravel kit looks like it's comparable to camburg's 6.0 kit.

You do realize that the lift will cost more than the car, right?

What's your point? That's reasoning that i always heard from my parents and it just drove me crazy.

ha ha ha......

That's pretty funny. Your parents are still telling you what to do?

Bring home a stripper for Christmas dinner. Then tell them how you're going to Vegas to get married. That'll shut them up.

No they didn't tell me what to do, i don't even live with them anymore anyway, but their advice was ignorant like yours. And i don't celebrate Christmas.

But anyway...it makes much more sense to me to start with an inexpensive vehicle and put money into it, rather than start with an expensive one and invest twice as much money in the end.

daammm..that would shut 'em

anyways yea its a bit comparable that the camburg kit
in the mail that i sent them i asked also if they have pics
if not ill prototype mine hehe...15 percent never sounded so good!
specially out of $1800
and i live about 40 minutes away so...its all good
and i aint trippin about installation
i have a buddy who will do it for free cuz he wants to do this for like his resume and stuff...just hope he doesnt "F" it up

anyone have any experience with brenthel and theyre kits?
also why use ball joints with btf?
is is because that he doenst raise the price as much with a uniball spindle?

Brandon will build you a kit with balljoints, uniballs, or upper uniball and lower BJ, it's up to you. Unless you are racing or beating the crap out of your truck constantly, balljoints work fine if you bump and strap the kit so that the BJs aren't stressed at significant angles. With a kit with a lower balljoint instead of a uniball, you can use a stock or lift spindle instead of having a new fully fabricated spindle made by him. That will keep the cost down a lot.

In general, based on my limited experience with modifying vehicles, I have come to understand that the vehicle was engineered for all the parts to work together as they left the factory. Any change to one part, will cause you to have to change another part. Lift kits are no different. You will now run a bigger tire & wheel combination. Maybe go from 29" to 33" or 35". This will cause additional strain on your driveline. That's a lot of strain on an old car with over 100,000 miles, as opposed to brand new parts. The next logical upgrade would be to the gearing, driveshaft (maybe), and transmission. You'll also want brakes for those bigger tires. Plus a little more punch from the motor wouldn't hurt either. So look into making power and getting a custom tune for your PCM.

And on, and on, and on.......it never ends. My project cars are never finished. By the time I'm done with one thing, another issue comes up. Stereo, upholstery, headliner, carpet kit, body work, aligning your headlights, installing off road lights, paint, blah, blah, blah.....and none of those things have anything to do with how your car runs.

It really doesn't matter if you want to mod a new car or old car. Some of us do what our budgets allow. Others pick older vehicles for those specific vehicles. I would love have a classic musclecar from the late 60's or early 70's. It never makes economic sense. If it's my new F-150, my 97 Mountaineer; or if I'm fixing up a brand new Mustang vs fixing up a '66 Mustang. It's only fun to you, because it's your car.

Just tell your parents that it makes you happy. It's either lift your car, or marry the girl from Napoleon Dynamite. Too bad your dad doesn't share your interest. My dad & I over-rule mom when it comes to all the time & money we spend under the hood. Lucky for me, I won't have to marry LaFonda.

menu-napoleon-dynamite-blu-raybonus11.jpg

hmmm...seems to make a lot of sense...just need to know if the price on the cheapest one hell make me...cuz i dont plan on off-roading...im just tired of being stranded cuz i cant off road or break my car....and as long as it holds for like baja races then im good...cuz i need it as a chase truck cuz i race score and well dont wanna get broken down on my quad and not be able to get picked up!

like my 5lug tacoma...broke it so many times! god it sucks but im gonna miss her!

In general, based on my limited experience with modifying vehicles, I have come to understand that the vehicle was engineered for all the parts to work together as they left the factory. Any change to one part, will cause you to have to change another part. Lift kits are no different. You will now run a bigger tire & wheel combination. Maybe go from 29" to 33" or 35". This will cause additional strain on your driveline. That's a lot of strain on an old car with over 100,000 miles, as opposed to brand new parts. The next logical upgrade would be to the gearing, driveshaft (maybe), and transmission. You'll also want brakes for those bigger tires. Plus a little more punch from the motor wouldn't hurt either. So look into making power and getting a custom tune for your PCM.

And on, and on, and on.......it never ends. My project cars are never finished. By the time I'm done with one thing, another issue comes up. Stereo, upholstery, headliner, carpet kit, body work, aligning your headlights, installing off road lights, paint, blah, blah, blah.....and none of those things have anything to do with how your car runs.

It really doesn't matter if you want to mod a new car or old car. Some of us do what our budgets allow. Others pick older vehicles for those specific vehicles. I would love have a classic musclecar from the late 60's or early 70's. It never makes economic sense. If it's my new F-150, my 97 Mountaineer; or if I'm fixing up a brand new Mustang vs fixing up a '66 Mustang. It's only fun to you, because it's your car.

Just tell your parents that it makes you happy. It's either lift your car, or marry the girl from Napoleon Dynamite. Too bad your dad doesn't share your interest. My dad & I over-rule mom when it comes to all the time & money we spend under the hood. Lucky for me, I won't have to marry LaFonda.

amen...there isnt anything better then working on your car...my budget will allow for a few things...just wanna have a descent off road car/FIRST CAR!

So it seems like you understand where i'm coming from then. I don't believe the initial price of a vehicle has any determination on how much modification should be done.

hmmm...seems to make a lot of sense...just need to know if the price on the cheapest one hell make me...cuz i dont plan on off-roading...im just tired of being stranded cuz i cant off road or break my car....and as long as it holds for like baja races then im good...cuz i need it as a chase truck cuz i race score and well dont wanna get broken down on my quad and not be able to get picked up!

like my 5lug tacoma...broke it so many times! god it sucks but im gonna miss her!

So will you be offroading this thing or no?

well simply put...YES!
i do plan on having fun with the kit if i buy it;)

just got off the phone with a guy thats selling a long travel kit for a tacoma for $720

installed, alignment and bushings included, all i need are coilovers

and he said he does his work pretty cheap
he builds them pretty good
ill prolly get him to do my explorer also...that way i dont get rid of any whips
ill get some pics in for both rides as soon as i get them on my computer

by the way anyone know how much suspension travel there is stock on the X...just so that when i get the new one...i dont get screwed

if anyone wants any info for the kits...just let me know!

With a price that low i'm a little skeptical. How is this guy making any money? Post pics if you can. And stock is like 8" or 9", somewhere around there.

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Prison labor is only $0.65 per hour.

Back