Check Air Ride System

jen1015

Reaction score
City, State
Red Lion, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Limited
Hi all
I have a 1997 Explorer Limited Bauer. Today in my middle console, I got the warning to check the Air Ride System.

From what I have read on here, it has something to do with a bag/air shocks? Is that right?

What exactly does it do? I bought this truck from a con man and have nothing but problems with it.

Bought it for $3600, I have to replace the ball joints, break hose/line still...basically I have put $3000 into it already. The truck is in GREAT condition inside and out, almost looks new. Besides these problems.

Now, I can't afford to get the Air Ride system fixed anytime soon. Is it still driveable?

I've been so depressed about this truck, I feel like it's a money pit and I can't get away from it.....lol..I'd sell it but I doubt I'd get anything for it.

Any help would greatly be appreciated....
Thanks a million.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully you can get the truck straightened out soon. The ARC system is great when it works, but corrosion usually disables them after 5-10 years. The shocks are too expensive for most people, they end up swapping to normal shocks and disabling the ARC.

Try to track down the problem, it is usually a leak at an air line connection, or in a shock. The compressors are very reliable for the conditions, as is most of the rest of the system. The shocks are the biggest issue, and expensive. The air lines are cheap to buy from Ford, and I have a spare set of the front section lines. Regards,

How would I check for a leak? My and my hubby are clueless to this truck stuff, lol

Is it still driveable though?

As long as the ride height is near stock, it should work great. Only if a shock leaks too much air will the truck set down low and be harsher in its ride. Those ARC shocks are like any other shock in its shock absorbing function. They have an integral electronic dampening for better handling off road, plus the height adjustment ability. Thus there are basically three parts which can go bad, the ride height part is the likely issue.

Replacement ARC shocks do not include the electronic dampening function any longer. That is no real loss because it only did anything when in 4WD anyway. The front shocks have to be had from Monroe for about $160 each. That's why people discard the system, the shocks cost too much. Ford still might sell the rears, for about $95 each. If you can keep it working, try to keep it clean and spray the joints with a good penetrant like PB Blaster(to keep it lubricated). Corrosion and dirt are what kills them.

Use a spray bottle of water with dish washing liquid to find any leaks. Regards,

If the Compressor/pump doesn't kick in at all, there's a good chance the pump is bad. You can pick one up for about $50 at a junkyard and it's a quick and easy installation with basic tools, even for a casual do-it-yourselfer. I think all the pumps are the same, coming out of any Lincoln (Town Car, Continental, MARK VII, etc), Mercury, etc.

The motors may be the same, but the mounting bolts and air tanks are not. I replaced all of it but the compressor itself.

After you switch over to conventional shocks, how do you keep the message center from saying that it has a problem with the air ride system?

I keep asking someone to post back with the results. I believe that disconnecting the ARC module will stop the signals from triggering the message center error. The ARC module is located directly to the right of the radio, it has two wire connectors going into the top. I cannot test that myself because I never installed a console back into my 99 Limited. Please do that and let us know for sure that it does stop the error message. Regards,

I keep asking someone to post back with the results. I believe that disconnecting the ARC module will stop the signals from triggering the message center error. The ARC module is located directly to the right of the radio, it has two wire connectors going into the top. I cannot test that myself because I never installed a console back into my 99 Limited. Please do that and let us know for sure that it does stop the error message. Regards,

So then is it then in the same place as the GEM but on the other side since the GEM is on the left hand side?

Does the ARC system have its own fuse?

Basically yes, it's right next to the radio, black plastic and about 5x3x1.5 inches. There are fuses and a relay, but as long as the ARC module is connected to the message center, I believe an error message will continue.

low on rear left side

Hi.

My '96 x is too low on the left rear side and need any tips If it's a leak on the air ride system?
The compressor is "clicking" in and out often, and the car won't raise or lower when switching too 4wd low.

Could it be a leak, a fuse or what?

Many thanks in advance:cool:

low on rear left side

Hi.

My '96 x is too low on the left rear side and need any tips If it's a leak on the air ride system?
The compressor is "clicking" in and out often, and the car won't raise or lower when switching too 4wd low.

Could it be a leak, a fuse or what?

Many thanks in advance:cool:

See if the compressor actually runs when you hear a click. If it does run then assume that there is a leak. Spray the connections of the black plastic lines going into the shocks, compressor, and the solenoid up around the cross member. Those plastic lines are cheap to buy new, the shocks are not.

Basically yes, it's right next to the radio, black plastic and about 5x3x1.5 inches. There are fuses and a relay, but as long as the ARC module is connected to the message center, I believe an error message will continue.

Alright is it the black plug or the gray plug?

The ARC module has two wiring connectors going into it, black and gray. I'd disconnect both of them, the power and message center wires may be split among those. With those unplugged the truck should no longer know that it has any ARC parts in it.

The ARC module has two wiring connectors going into it, black and gray. I'd disconnect both of them, the power and message center wires may be split among those. With those unplugged the truck should no longer know that it has any ARC parts in it.

Oh, ok! Thanks! Ill unplug then tonight on the way home and see what happens. So the module that they are going into is JUST the ARC module right, nothing else?

Yes, I added an entire ARC system, including buying a 99-01 module(rear only). I added all of the wires throughout the harnesses.

See if the compressor actually runs when you hear a click. If it does run then assume that there is a leak. Spray the connections of the black plastic lines going into the shocks, compressor, and the solenoid up around the cross member. Those plastic lines are cheap to buy new, the shocks are not.

Thanks CDW6212R ..please check your PM :)

I'll reply tomorrow, I've been away all day. Night,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yesterday I finally got to check the shock absorbers on my X, and the one the rear left was serious ready for a replacement.
I should have invested i new leaf springs as the left one is a bit worn out.

I already made my order of 4 Shock Absorbers from RockAuto, and they already on it's way to Norway.
I'll do a check on the ARC compressors and the accessories later on, but hope the shock replacement will sort out the problem.

Thanks.

Back