Check Air Ride System | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Air Ride System

I wouldn't discard the K&N filter, do use it for some time. I have bought about four of them myself over the years. I just know now that there are better choices. When you do feel like a change, check with Amsoil on their site if you like. They have quite a few universal filters that often match what you have. I have one of those in place of the original Volant filter. I had used the Volant filter for about 10,000 miles when I discovered something better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an FYI, the DPFE was not introduced till 97 with the SOHC.

He has the PFE system which means his EGR system only measures downstream flow and guesses on the upstream flow. the DPFE system is more accurate and measure both up/down flow. Either way, each system is almost identical and works about the same.

The PFE system has a few more problems due to it guessing on the upstream flow from the EGR. How it guesses is buy taking in other factors from other sensors, but when the PFE sensor starts messing up thats when you start throwing those types of codes because the guessing game is off.

What type of manual are you looking at? If its a chilton I can direct you towards the page number with all this information.

Thanks, and also thanks to frickea86 for the information:thumbsup:

I got the Ford Explorer Haynes Repair Manual 1991-2001 (book) and the 1996-1999 Ford Service Manual (DVD).

Cheers
Frank

Nice, I have the same exact Haynes book here also, thought it was a chilton but I stand corrected.

Haynes Manual Page 6-25, That is chapter 6 page 25. You will se two diagrams that illustrate the difference between the two systems (PFE, DPFE). Now I can't find where it tells you where it is, you may have to do some investigating on your own.

Look at Section 19, it starts on page 6-24 put most of it is on 6-25 to 6-27. Read up and see what you can do when the dust clears.

Let us know what you find out.

Nice, I have the same exact Haynes book here also, thought it was a chilton but I stand corrected.

Haynes Manual Page 6-25, That is chapter 6 page 25. You will se two diagrams that illustrate the difference between the two systems (PFE, DPFE). Now I can't find where it tells you where it is, you may have to do some investigating on your own.

Look at Section 19, it starts on page 6-24 put most of it is on 6-25 to 6-27. Read up and see what you can do when the dust clears.

Let us know what you find out.

Nice frickea86.

I had to check the book last night, found it and read all night..hihi.
I'll let you know :salute:

Cheers
Frank

I can honestly say its a good read, I understood it and I'm not an engine guru.

Yet....:D

I can honestly say its a good read, I understood it and I'm not an engine guru.

Yet....:D

hehe...same here frickea86 - very nice reading, the whole book and the work shop manual as well. I'm far from a engine man, but a fast learner :D

Today I mounted the K&N filter in one hour, and it went very well and works great :thumbsup:

Next project will be the leaf spring as soon as I got a account refill...hi.
I also want to replace all the hoses with the flexible stainless steel ones :confused:

Hav a nice weekend all...now it's relaxing with some beers....cheers from
Frank

Norwegian

Hei, Frank.

Ville bare si at det er flere nordmenn her på forumet ...
Lykke til med EGR-fixing =)

-Trond fra Tromsø-

(Just me saying "hi, I'm also from Norway, good luck on the EGR-thingy." In Norwegian. Sorry about that.)

Hei, Frank.

Ville bare si at det er flere nordmenn her på forumet ...
Lykke til med EGR-fixing =)

-Trond fra Tromsø-

(Just me saying "hi, I'm also from Norway, good luck on the EGR-thingy." In Norwegian. Sorry about that.)

Hei Trond...hyggelig å hilse på deg her :thumbsup:
Du er vel ikke tilfeldigvis radioamatør også?

(Hi Trond - nice to meet you here. Just have to ask - are you a ham operator?)

Hilsen
Frank i Florø

Sometimes, while at the end of a downhill or something like that, the computer sais "Air ride check".
Is that because my explorer is a little higher in the rear? The one who sold it to me, said that he liked the car a little higher in the rear and after he modified it the message started coming. He said it's a minor change, because the high of the rear part is still from stock, just forced to stay at the maximum height.

It sounds like someone installed a lift component to the suspension or body, but didn't adjust the ARC height sensor. I'd take a look and see if you can find any non stock parts in back, like taller body mounts or extra leaf packs.

Back