• Register Today It's free!

"check engine" light just came on

cmayna

Reaction score
City, State
Menlo Park, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB & 97 Sport
Just past 80,000 miles on my 96 EB and this !@#$ light just came on. Everything seems fine. What do I do ? How do I turn off this light or do I take the vehicle to a dealer who'll tell me to spend $$$$$.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it to a place like Auto Zone. Most car places like that will read the code for free. Tell them you need to code read from your car. Ask for the exact code, not just what it means. Write down both the code, and what the machine says your explorer needs. Then come back here and tell someone, people can help you find out whats wrong.

Disconnect your neg. battery cable over night and it will go away. If it is a true problem it will come back.

As suggested, I disconnected the neg cable and now the "check engine" lite does not come on. I guess I should be relieved but it still bothers me that this false alarm might raise it's ugly head again.

Then again, maybe it will come on tonight on my way home.

Go NY Jets !!! Beat them raiders !!!

if it raises its head again within the next week its most likely not "false"

Some codes take two successive faults with a complete drive cycle in between. Other times a CEL will be set as soon as the fault is detected. You may go a couple of days without the light. The longer you make it, the more likely it is that it is just a minor issue with a sensor being close to its operating limits.

Back