Check Engine Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light

LouAWD

Reaction score
Was up...fellow Explorer owners...I just purchased
my first Explorer...96 XLT 5.0 AWD machine. I've
had it for a couple of months without any problems.
I decided to upgrade the exhaust system with a Borla
system. A few days later the check engine signal lights
up and it has stayed on for the pass two weeks. Would
it be because of the new exhaust? Any help would be
appreciated.......Thanks

The check engine light always seems to be the smog stuff like the oxygen sensors, vacuum line problems or the mass air flow sensor. I'm on my third Sport and the only time it wasn't smog gear it was altitude. There is at least one oxygen sensor attached to the cat or before it, I don't know your model that well anymore. A code reader, preferably at a local garage (or you can buy your own) instead of the warranty station, will reveal what the problem is. Technically, it shouldn't make any difference to the o2 sensor since it gets a whiff before the muffler so I don't know that it is the o2 sensor at all. Maybe the increased flow, I dunno. Hope you keep posting your findings.

I would like to start off by giving you a hand on your purchase of the Ford Explorer. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. I'd also like to welcome to the site.

Now on to your question :confused:

I doubt that the new exhaust system could of caused the problem. Although it may of. Without knowing how your engine runs and performs I wouldn't rule anything out. If I would have to take a guess though I would guess it would be the mass air flow sensor. The sensor on the Explorer for some reason doesn't always like to stay clean :eek:. How well does your truck run, does it feal like it's a V8, what type of gas millage do you get, when you "floor it" how well is the pickup???? Just about all of these problems are ones that I have when my sensor is bad. I know that the 4.0 has this problem but I'm not sure about the 5.0. It's worth a shot though.

If this does seem to be the problem it is a easy fix. Try the link below or do a search on how to clean the sensor.
http://www.4x4central.com/tips.htm#mas

Once again congrats on your new Ford and good luck
:)

Back