• Register Today It's free!

check engine lign after tune up

recondrill

Reaction score
City, State
Heidelberg Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Exlporer XLT
Fellow gear heads, had a leaky pass side valve cover, so while replacing it I also changed the plugs, wires, intake gasket, cleaned throttle body, now check engine light up and its hard to start. When running, idles and excelerates fine...any suggestions? I'm thinking vaccum line leak....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it had an OBD II port. This Explorer is a daily driver as I'm stationed in Germany, paid $500 for it a year ago and I love driving it!!!

Did you leave your MAF unplugged or anything of the sort? MAF would make those symptoms (it would run fine when unplugged because it'd default to speed-density - failure mode)

Check all your electrical connnections, and your vacuum tree on the intake manifold, my bet is you just left something unplugged. But checking your codes will probably give you a good start, but may not be necessary if you can do a visual inspection and figure it out.

Oh and if you did plugs and wires theres a chance you plugged them back in in the wrong order, double check that just in case. (you would be able to feel a miss though, if that were to be it)

ooops.

CEL was 117, guess the new temp sensor from auto zone was faulty. Put old one back in and no more CEL!

Back