• Register Today It's free!

Check fliud hot or cold

dickd

Reaction score
City, State
Sunshine Coast Queensland
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Just had to top up my transmission fluid after a transfer case replacement and we have over filled it !.
After draining a good litre of fluid not sure when to check the level.

With the motor running or not , hot or cold, can not search a solution or see it in the manual

Also after driving around the block, i get a whirring sound off and on , could this be that the transmission is to full.

I do not want to drive it again till i have the right level of fluid to see if that has gone away

98 SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tranny fluid is checked with tranny at normal operating temp and engine running.

So it appears that i may not have overfilled it and it needs more , with the motor running the indicator has no oil on it but when i switch off the motor the indicator is covered in oil all the way up ?

So i should just keep filling till the indicator is correct whilst running

Yes, pour in about 1/2 qt (< 0.5 L) or less at a time to avoid overfilling.

Yep fill it more. Then go through your gears, drive, 3,2 etc... and back to park. Check fluid again.

I know it states in Chilton manuals to always check the fluid when the engine is warm, and after a few miles of driving to get the transmission fluid to normal operating temperature.

What I do, is pour in ~1/4 of a qt, hop in the truck, switch through all the gears multiple times, holding each gear for about 10 seconds. After putting it back into park, let it set a minute or 2 to make sure all (most of) the fluid has drained down the tube, then check the level a couple times. Repeat as necessary.

Back