Check Fuel Cap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Fuel Cap?

crazy4ou

Reaction score
I have taken my 2004 Ford Explorer to the shop three times over the last year for electrical/fuel gauge related problems. The vehicle is still under warranty for another five thousand miles and I need to take it back again.

The first time the check engine light was on and the gas gauge wasn't working. I took it in and they said I got some bad gas so they put some treatment in it. That worked for about two weeks.

The 2nd time was the same problem. I took it to another dealership because I moved out of state. They changed the fuel filter and it was fine for a few weeks.

The 3rd time the check fuel cap light came on. It was on for about four weeks before I took it in. I took it off and put on the cap several times in that period. I took it in and they acted like I was a big dumb @ss and didn't know how to put a cap on. They said they took the fuel cap off and screwed it back in and the light went off. I know that is a lie.

A few days ago the check fuel cap light came on again. I am going to take it to another dealership this week. Anyone have a clue what is going on?

Had the same thing happen on my '05. Take the cap off, and bang it on the filler neck a few times. The cap has a check valve in it. If it's stuck open, the light will be triggered. This solved the issue for me.

Back