• Register Today It's free!

"Check Gauges" 2005 Sport Trac

Dan308

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Sport
2005 Sport Trac runs fine but when in park, turn key off an take out, the ABS, Check Engine and "check gauges" light comes on and the radio doesn't turn off. This drains the battery.

Here's what I've checked:
1. Checked the battery and alternator. they are both good and charging.

2. Test light and pulled and checked all fuses. Inside and in engine bay. Fuse #25 pulled and all lights and gauges go off except the ABS which stays on. Still a draw on the battery.

3. Replaced ignition switch. No effect problem still there.

4. Checked for loose positive and ground wires. None found

5. When running everything works fine.

6. Scanned, there are NO codes.

This is how it looks when the key is out. There is a draw on the battery and power windows work. Radio does too

Uf8fV6L.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no codes even key out conditon? none pending? whats voltage when key out? if it dips low ive seen it cause aome issues. check gage jsut telling tounyou have a cel and abs light on to xhexk im this case but can signify overheating lowmoil pressure etc

All 04-05 Trac's have this same issue. You need to have the instrument cluster rebuilt. The battery saver relay for your interior is built into the cluster and it will keep the window switches working and the radio on after the car turns off. I just had one repaired for a customer and it fixed all his problems. I used circuit board medics.

Circuit board medics 04-05 Ford Explorer sport trac cluster repair

no codes even key out conditon? none pending? whats voltage when key out? if it dips low ive seen it cause aome issues. check gage jsut telling tounyou have a cel and abs light on to xhexk im this case but can signify overheating lowmoil pressure etc
nope no codes. oil pressure reads fine with engine running. So is the temp gauge. Key out voltage measured where?

Your answer is above.

Sent my cluster to CircuitBoardMedics for evaluation and repair. I installed it today and it did not fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

NONE of the above worked. Here's a video of the problem

Maybe the repair they did wear unsuccessful. Just because a part is new doesn’t mean it’s good, and same is is even more true of refurbished units.

so what now? Just throw $150 clusters at it and try and get lucky?

Did you try and contact them?

Circuitboardmedics…..

Id still say there's an issue with that cluster. Maybe it tests good for them but once hooked up to the complete truck you have issues.

Sure seems like it

I like the 05 cluster it’s Neato looking too bad it has these issues

What issues and how might I fix it?

You’re probably going to have to try a different cluster. Did you ever call and talk to the people who repaired it?

You’re probably going to have to try a different cluster. Did you ever call and talk to the people who repaired it?
I don't understand that logic. I bought a cluster out of a wrecked 05 built the same week on the same assembly line according to the numbers and it didn't work right. I sent my cluster for repairs and it doesn't work right. I can't just throw $200 clusters at it hoping to get lucky

Understood
Your Symptom having power at the cluster when they’re should be none (key out)

Basically when we see this in these trucks (explorers from 95-04) it points to an issue with the accessory delay or battery saver relays, a bad relay is basically the only way you will get battery power when the key is out when there normally should not be any

Your 05’truck the battery saver relay just happens to be built into the cluster (sucks)

But you are saying the other 05
Cluster you tried did the exact same thing? If so I would look to the truck side of things for the issue or check the wiring where it plugs into the cluster

See
If there is a fuse in the fuse panel that is for the battery saver relay, if so pull that fuse see if the issue goes away
Process of elimination

What other circuits are protected on that fuse?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't understand that logic. I bought a cluster out of a wrecked 05 built the same week on the same assembly line according to the numbers and it didn't work right. I sent my cluster for repairs and it doesn't work right. I can't just throw $200 clusters at it hoping to get lucky
I don’t believe you mentioned buying a new cluster. I can only work with the info given, I’m not creskin.

Back