• Register Today It's free!

Check Oil light.

Corvin

Reaction score
City, State
CFB Borden, On
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
The check oil light comes on occationally. It comes on when I start the ex and it stays on until I shut down the ex and it seems pretty random when it comes on.

The oil level is fine, no leaks that I could find, it doesn't burn any oil either.

What should I check next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps a sending unit is bad or a wire is loose?

When was the last time the oil and filter were replaced?

oil change.

Brian_B said:
When was the last time the oil and filter were replaced?

About 3000 km ago.

I would look at the sending unit first. The wire may just be loose (the odd light times). If not it could be the sending unit itself. I do now know which engine you have, but most fords are located on the drivers side toward the front of the engine just above the pan. They are not expensive to replace if thats it.

The check oil light on a first gen ohv motor is for oil level. Not oil pressue.

Oil pressure is monitored by an oil pressure gauge (which is just an analog idiot light). When the pressure is under 5psi it shows low pressure.. over 5psi it shows correct. The sending unit is on the drivers side, near the front (near the p/s pump).

The check oil light sending unit it on the pan (I believe its drivers side.. I've never had to change mine) and is supposed to turn on the light when it doesn't see oil in the pan.

~Mark

Maniak said:
The check oil light on a first gen ohv motor is for oil level. Not oil pressue.

Oil pressure is monitored by an oil pressure gauge (which is just an analog idiot light). When the pressure is under 5psi it shows low pressure.. over 5psi it shows correct. The sending unit is on the drivers side, near the front (near the p/s pump).

The check oil light sending unit it on the pan (I believe its drivers side.. I've never had to change mine) and is supposed to turn on the light when it doesn't see oil in the pan.

~Mark

It's comes on when you're 3 quarters of a quart low, i would know, mine comes on every 1000 MI hahaha

Back