Check your exhaust manifold bolts! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check your exhaust manifold bolts!

leon63

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0 Mounty
Today, I was changing plugs and wires on my Mounty, and noticed that the front-most bolt of the driver's side exhaust manifold was MIA - gone! I could remove the other bolt (for cylinder #5) by hand...

While you have the wheels and fender flaps off, it is really easy to check torque and retighten the manifold bolts. You might need a 9/16-inch crows foot to get to a couple bolts on the 5.0 - not sure about the other motors. The exhaust manifold bolt on the 5.0 V-8 is 3/8-16 thread size.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found one missing on my 98 Mountie also, driver's side, front cyl. Got the bolt fromt the dealor....8 bucks. Put it in. Several times tighten. Now, exhaust leak, right by the missing bolt, goes away after about 90 seconds of warm up. Sealed. Crazy for these bolts to come out. Way to go Louisville.

You may try some blue locktite if your problem persists.

MG...you are so experienced and your posts are always right on the money, but I can't tell you how much I disagree with that procedure. Use antiseize and retorque a few times. I have had way too many exhaust bolts seize, break, twist etc that usually require head R & R to fix. I use antiseize on all my exhaust bolts and I never have a problem if I retorque 3 or 4 times.

Back