• Register Today It's free!

Chilton or Haynes manual?

tnhusker

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I recently acquired a 97 XLT 4x4 and not being all that knowledgeable about automotive repair I was wondering which manual would be best. The 2 I see most often are the Chilton's and the Haynes manuals. Are these any good and would you recommend one or maybe even something different. I don't have a specific problem at this time that I am looking up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw that I slipped and put it under the wrong years. Should a moderator delete one or the other. I would be fine with it since it is a generic question. Mark it down as a rookie mistake on this forum.

Get both. I have both of them cause often 1 wont be much help and the other has everything you need. Sometimes there will be a picture in one that will really help that the other doesnt have.

Mike

If you register (free) with autozone.com, you can also view the manuals online. Not all years/makes are covered, but the 97 Explorer is.

This is good to hear. I have been registered to autozone for a long time but never knew about the manuals online. Thanks.

Thank you marragtop I will be able to replace my front wiper motor as we go into another stormy weekend here in KC the autozone online really helped
Mike in KC 1994 EX Sport

I use Haynes and ALLDATA.

For about $40 you can find the Ford factory manual sets specific to your year on eBay... I always get a set of those when I get a new vehicle...

HERE is a set of the essentials

If you register (free) with autozone.com, you can also view the manuals online. Not all years/makes are covered, but the 97 Explorer is.

Autozone has no online repair manual for 2002 Explorer. If you live in Michigan, the Michigan Electronic Library (MEL.org) has all Chilton's repair manuals online for free (click "databases"; "C" for Chilton's . . . ). The website somehow checks to see whether you're connecting from w/in Michigan.

Back