Choosing a head unit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Choosing a head unit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, NVRENUFEDGE, the reason I am asking for opinions, is because I want it to be installed before I come home from OKINAWA. I cannot see them personally and check them out to see functions and quality and how I like them. All I have is forums, and pictures and reviews. So I am buying without trying or hearing. Does the Eclipse AVN6600 have a lock where you cannot watch dvd's while driving? I know the new Pioneer models have a bypass or a switch or something. I have not looked into the bypasses on the avic z-1's yet. Also, I do not want to buy a unit like the Alpine only having to upgrade and buy more stuff just to get the navigation. I would rather buy something with it already installed and good to go.

jluv said:
Why do you not think the Kenwoods are up to par? They are SLICK.

As for Alpine, there is only one double-DIN offering, the W200. It is a GREAT unit, but doesn't have built in nav. You can add the Alpine Blackbird, which is a fabulous nav device. You can hide the Blackbird and control everything from the head unit, and then take it with you to another vehicle, or even on foot, whenever you want. You can also add a PXA-H701 for the ultimate in processing. The great thing about all of these Alpine products is that you can control everything from the touch screen head unit.

It is very hard to beat Alpine quality. Period.

okay..why do i think pioneer are superior headunits, you ask?
well here is what you just typed..
:thumbdwn: As for Alpine, there is only one double-DIN offering, the W200. It is a GREAT unit, but doesn't have built in nav. :thumbdwn:
my answer to your question...
almost all double din pioneers have nav and are touch screen.. and if you get one without nav, it can be added.
the Z1 has everything in it.. it can play dvd's, nav, and it has i believe a 32gig hard drive in it.. allowing songs to be downloaded to the unit from the cd as you listen to it.. copys at 4x playing speed. so cd's wouldnt be nescessary but for one time...and if you like a song that is playing on the radio, you can tell the unit, and it will automatically direct to you to a station that is currently playing it..

How much actual modifying am I going to have to do to make a double din navigation system fit?

wharriso said:
My kid said that "looks like a giant Rolex watch". A very good description. :)
I think that's what they were shooting for.

matt987 said:
almost all double din pioneers have nav and are touch screen.. and if you get one without nav, it can be added.

You can add nav to Alpine's unit, too. You can also add the PXA-H701, and get the ultimate in processing flexibility. All controlled from the head unit.

Alpine also has a few single-DIN flipouts to choose from, and you can get one with nav built in. They do this because lots of people either can't fit a double-DIN or end up using a flip-out anyway. The W200 they offer for double-DIN use is meant to be a monitor/DVD source, and a control unit for everythig else Alpine offers to add on. If you shop around, you can get the W200 with nav (Blackbird) and still come out cheaper than the Z1. For those serious about processing, add the 701 and you have a combo that Pioneer can't touch.

The hard drive thing is pretty cool, I'll admit, but not something I would use.

I looked at the Pioneers. They didn't have the expandability that Alpine offers, and the UI is not as good, imo. Mainly, I would never own one because they look like a bucket of dog turds to me.

CPL DOZIER said:
How much actual modifying am I going to have to do to make a double din navigation system fit?
The modification for installing a double DIN HU is pretty easy. It's nothing a Scosche double DIN kit, a dremel, grinding wheel, and about 20 minutes of mill time can't handle.

I skimmed through the double DIN install threads for some pics, but couldn't find any. Let me know, and I'll be happy to post some pics of the modified stereo/climate control frame for reference.

CPL DOZIER said:
Ok, NVRENUFEDGE, the reason I am asking for opinions, is because I want it to be installed before I come home from OKINAWA. I cannot see them personally and check them out to see functions and quality and how I like them. All I have is forums, and pictures and reviews. So I am buying without trying or hearing. Does the Eclipse AVN6600 have a lock where you cannot watch dvd's while driving? I know the new Pioneer models have a bypass or a switch or something. I have not looked into the bypasses on the avic z-1's yet. Also, I do not want to buy a unit like the Alpine only having to upgrade and buy more stuff just to get the navigation. I would rather buy something with it already installed and good to go.
I'd look into getting one while you are over there, they have lots of very nice ones that arent offered in the states, all you would need is a radio frequency converter to get radio.

Lil98Sport, could you please get some pics up for me to see what it looks like modified. EMG, the head units over here are all in Japanese and all the stuff on the front is written in Japanese Conji.....I think that is how it is spelled.

what about doing it with a few pieces-

i'd rather see a larger static mount screen- 8 or 9" widescreen, stand alone processor/processor controller (like my dvh920/dvh940 clarion pair i have in both my cars), and stand alone navigation (or no navigation- i honestly don't like it).

Well my honest answer for that Drew is that I am not very electronic savvy. I don't think I would be able to control all the extra components and stuff. I figured if I got everything I wanted all in one unit then I would be better off.

This entire thread I have been waiting on you to chime in with your clarion info. I have not forgotten. I have that stuff written down from the first conversation we had about head units and stuff when you convinced me to buy the JBL GTI's over waiting for the x.. Re Audio Components to come out. ;)

all things considered i think you should go with the pioneer... (haven't recommended a pioneer in about 4 years... lol).

-drew

Well, I am starting to lean heavier on the Pioneer avic Z1. I have heard some mixed feelings on the Eclipse AVN6600.

CPL DOZIER said:
Sorry, didn't mean to push any buttons, if I did. Didn't know all that.

As far as the video lock. Most of them, if you ground the "E-brake" wire, you can watch video anytime you want. Alpine's is a little more complicated. I do understand the want for an all-in-one. I bought the Alpine piece because I don't need the nav.

No buttons were pushed. I was simply putting the information out there for you and anyone else who did not know that I am stationed in Okinawa, Japan, in the Marine Corps. No biggie.

CPL DOZIER said:
Lil98Sport, could you please get some pics up for me to see what it looks like modified.
Here you go....

I ripped out the whole assembly without removing my HU and DSP/EQ. The first two pics show you the left and right side of the assembled Scosche double DIN kit. In the last pic, you'll see space between the Pioneer and the frame ....that's one of the edges I milled to get the double DIN kit to fit into the frame. You'll have to mill off somewhere in between 1/4" and 1/2" on the top and bottom to get the kit to fit in the frame opening.

If you need another reference, check out Justin146's setup.

Hope these pics help. Let me know if you need anything else.

Attachments

• LSideView_6x8.jpg
    LSideView_6x8.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 436
  • RSideView_6x8.jpg
    RSideView_6x8.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 431
  • FrameCorner_6x8.jpg
    FrameCorner_6x8.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 441

Thanks alot. This gives me a better idea.

Just picked up an Alpine W200! tis really nice, but I can't enjoy it fully till I get my PAC-TR7 :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Post some pics of it please.

Back