• Register Today It's free!

Installing a head unit

The Green Machine

Reaction score
City, State
Boca Raton, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
ok so i have a nice system in my explorer and my head unit (Pioneer DEH-P9200R) says it supports an aux input. Where this input is i have no idea, I assume its on the back of the head unit since i cant find it on the front and I want to attach an rca cable to it so i can play MP3's through my system. Now how do i take the head unit out to get to it. I also have a 94 explorer and it has the slots so all u need is that tool to pull out the head unit but my explore (a 92) has no slots. I had my head unit installed at a local audio shop and i dont feel like paying them $50 to plug a wire in. Any info on how to do this or how to take the dash board apart would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Weeellll.... taking the dash apart is rather simple. Take somthing like a spatula and pry the plastic part from the foam, it just snaps in there. The hard part is getting it over the emergency flasher switch. As for removal of your head unit I need some more info. Is it a detacable face or not, is there a trim ring around it, etc.

Yes it has a detachable face plate and yes there is a trim ring around it. I can figure out how to get that out once i get the dash out. I just cant figure out where to start with the dash. are there any screws holding it in that i am missing? Do i have to take the whole thing apart or can i just take that one section around the A/C and the stereo out.

The only screws you need to remove are the ones holding in the tracks the ash tray slides on. Remove those and then the rest is snap together.

Yes, it is all one piece. You may run into a slight problem lifting it over the emergency flasher switch on the colum.

Things may be different on my 93, but all I have to do is remove the face, remove the trim that goes around it and then insert the tools that came with the headunit and the pull out. The enitre unit comes out. I don't think you have to tear the whole dash apart just to get at the back of your head unit, but I could be wrong.

Steve

ok so yeah i got the damn dash off and i got the head unit off, it wasnt hard at all. Thank u all. The one prob is that now i cant find out how to make an aux input into the head unit. You can program the head unit to except an aux input but i cant figure out where to plug the wire in. there is no rca plug like i thought there would be.

Pioneer

yet another reason why I left the confides of a pioneer head unit!!!

The aux input on the pioneer head units is a separate piece that you need to buy. I think they may have them at crutchfield. It plugs into your cd changer output. If you have a CD changer, then there is another piece that allows you to plug in the changer and has the aux input on it.

it is a sperate piece that you need to buy. go to your pioneer dealer, get it and we'll help you with the install.

with the acc on turn off the radio. then hold down the function key for like 5 seconds. from there you can control some options like dfs alarm, reminder beep, aux input, m-cd input, and something else (cant remember-too stressed from finals). leave the key on with the radio off. try this out, but you will need the cable.

the F-word???

did I just see someone mention the F-word??? I am gald to see I am not the only one dealing with life threatening fianls.

Finals SUCK!

Originally posted by offroader_69_me
did I just see someone mention the F-word??? I am gald to see I am not the only one dealing with life threatening fianls.

i just feel like my head is going to explode. what was i thinking taking physics (w/o calculus) and statistics in the same term??!! ohh man, 3 more days till i can breath/sleep agian. good luck man, Hey Green!! any luck with that aux adapter yet?

Back