• Register Today It's free!

Where's my coin holder?

Chris K.

Reaction score
City, State
Gotham City, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mountaineer
I know this is a somewhat insignificant question. But my new 08 Montaineer doesn't seem to have a coin holder. The marketing specs say I should have one. But the only thing inside the center console is the tissue box holder under the lid and a power point and aux audio input jack on a ledge near the front, where I suspect the coin holder should or used to go.

Is this a sign of the times? That a coin holder has been ruled "old school" or obsolete? FWIW, on the outside front of the console is a nice little cubby hole, just big enough for a cell phone and another power point that I just converted to a cigarette lighter (old school me) because I consider one a survival tool.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's exactly where it was on my 97. The specs also say I'm supposed to have a molded mat w/pen holders inside the console too. But I don't have that either. There's just a cloth-type mat on the bottom.

The problem is I bought the car as a demo, so I was wondering if there's supposed to be a coin holder, it might have gotten cannibalized/swiped for another car. But I can't just run over to the dealership and ask the salesman because I bought it out of town.

I suspect replacing the coin holder with the power point and audio jacks inside the console was some kind of 08 year change and they never updated the sales literature. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Chris

Coin holder

For all that reply, this thread is for 2006 and newer models. Ford did a major change to the Explorer in 2006, so all the advice on previous year models are obsolete and unless. I don't know if they have changed it in the 2008s, but in the 06 and 07's it is molded into the side of the center console. The coins slide in at an angle.

Mine is inside the center arm rest / storage... front right and has the 3+ "slots" for the coins to stack.

Well, I can tell you for certain there is no molded-in or integral coin holder inside the center console of my 08 Mountaineer. So unless it is now a removable part (i.e. some kind of a tray or frame) and missing from my car, it has been "designed" out for 2008.

Thanks,
Chris

Well, I can tell you for certain there is no molded-in or integral coin holder inside the center console of my 08 Mountaineer. So unless it is now a removable part (i.e. some kind of a tray or frame) and missing from my car, it has been "designed" out for 2008.

Thanks,
Chris

In my opinion, the coin holder in the 2006+ Ex is nearly useless anyway. As someone mentioned, it's on an angle on the right side of the console, so anytime I get something out of the console, I wind up knocking some of the coins out of it. Especially if the coin holder is anywhere near half full.

I finally found a picture on the internet showing the molded-in coin holder on the 2006-2007 Explorers/Mountaineers. You're right. That is the same bum system that is in my wife's 2004 Mercury Sable. Coins end up everywhere.

What I did was buy one of those little (3 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2") spring-loaded coin holder boxes, made for certain GM cars and Ford F-150 trucks, that are all over eBay for $5 - $10. I applied Velcro to it and mounted it on the front ledge inside my console right over the top of the auxiliary audio input jack and power point. It works great and if I ever need one of those two jacks, I can just pull off the coin holder and place it on the bottom of the console with all my other junk. I think the coins would stay put with a system like that.

With the advent of toll-tags, I think Ford believes the days of coin holders are numbered anyway and the space they can free up is better used for electronic gadgetry.

Chris

Back