Class III trailer tow package contents | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Class III trailer tow package contents

skygeezer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer
Hi,
I have a 2014 Explorer with the Class III trailer tow package. On my previous SUV (2008 GMC Acadia), it came with a wire harness and with an adapter that plugged into the 7 pin connector (4 pin to 7 pin adapter). I looked in the glove box and center console and don't see anything that came along with my Tow Package. Should there be something included with the Class III tow package (any adapters) inside the vehicle?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ummmmm, I don't know if this will answer your question, but my 2013 Limited 4WD with tow has two sockets, (one on the left & one on the right). Maybe because of this we don't need an adapter?

Ummmmm, I don't know if this will answer your question, but my 2013 Limited 4WD with tow has two sockets, (one on the left & one on the right). Maybe because of this we don't need an adapter?

Thanks,
I was thinking about the male plug that plugs into these sockets, in particular the 7 pin socket. This 7 pin male plug is included with GM vehicles with the factory trailer tow package.. I wasn't sure if the vehicle should have been delivered with the male plug or if Ford does not include this.

I didn't get a male plug when I got the vehicle with the tow package. I have a 2011 XLT.

Hi,
I have a 2014 Explorer with the Class III trailer tow package. On my previous SUV (2008 GMC Acadia), it came with a wire harness and with an adapter that plugged into the 7 pin connector (4 pin to 7 pin adapter). I looked in the glove box and center console and don't see anything that came along with my Tow Package. Should there be something included with the Class III tow package (any adapters) inside the vehicle?

Thanks

Interesting...
On my 2007 Saturn Outlook XR with factory tow, the included wiring harness was for the addition of a brake controller. One end had the proper plug to connect under the dash and the other end had exposed wiring for the brake controller.
The Explorer factory tow includes two connection points on either side of the hitch for either a 7 pin or 4 pin male connection so an adapter is unnecessary.

It didn't come with it because it doesn't need it. There's a 4-pronged flat connection built into the hitch plate as mentioned.

It takes 10 seconds to pull off the tow cover. If you'd done that you'd have found both 4 and 7 pin sockets....

It takes 10 seconds to pull off the tow cover. If you'd done that you'd have found both 4 and 7 pin sockets....
Nice snark - but that's not the question being asked.

On some vehicles, they come with a trailer side harness. I haven't had that included in one in some time.

The other harness that might be included is the trailer brake controller to vehicle connector (under the dash). That one is not included, either - I guess because there are so many different styles.

Thanks,
I was thinking about the male plug that plugs into these sockets, in particular the 7 pin socket. This 7 pin male plug is included with GM vehicles with the factory trailer tow package.. I wasn't sure if the vehicle should have been delivered with the male plug or if Ford does not include this.

Ford does not include it, should be on the trailer you want to tow. My 08 Saturn Outlook came equipped as scotted73 stated, for brake controller not trailer.

FYI: the connector for the brake controller is behind the dash just above the parking brake.

+4 on previous comments... Any trailer you want to connect with a 4-pin will work on the 4-pin connector you already have. If it happens to have a 7-pin and doesn't have electric brakes the 7 pin should be live as well.

If you want to use the 7-pin with a brake controller you need to buy a brake controller and the appropriate manufacturer --> ford harness adapter.

Something like this for example:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-3035-P.html

Hi, I'm new to the forum (and to forums in general). My 2018 Explorer Platinum mentions the Class III Trailer Tow Pkg on the window sticker, but I haven't yet found reference to the precise content in that package. It certainly includes a hitch receiver, and a plug for the wiring harness installed nearby. My question is: are there any other components to this PKG, like a wiring harness to attach to a trailer? Other cars I've owned with a factory trailer package also included this harness (a Mercury and two Buick Enclaves, for example). If it should have been included, I'll go back to the dealer while everything's fresh. They did forget two other items which they promptly provided when I asked.
THANKS

No, you need to buy the harness to plug into the back of the brake controller and then it will plug in under the dash.

Your tow package is the class 3 hitch the 4 or 7 pin plug and the plastic cover to hide it. The wiring for the trailer is on the the trailer side to connect to the EX. You got everything I am sure

Hi, I'm new to the forum (and to forums in general). My 2018 Explorer Platinum mentions the Class III Trailer Tow Pkg on the window sticker, but I haven't yet found reference to the precise content in that package. It certainly includes a hitch receiver, and a plug for the wiring harness installed nearby. My question is: are there any other components to this PKG, like a wiring harness to attach to a trailer? Other cars I've owned with a factory trailer package also included this harness (a Mercury and two Buick Enclaves, for example). If it should have been included, I'll go back to the dealer while everything's fresh. They did forget two other items which they promptly provided when I asked.
THANKS
Engine Have OilCooler And Used 6F55 Trans

THANKS
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I've merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic. The Forum has a 'Search' feature at the top right that can be used to find threads on existing topics.
I believe the recent posts above have addressed your concerns. It is also recommended that a Weight Distribution Hitch be used for towing over 2000 lbs. Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I've merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic. The Forum has a 'Search' feature at the top right that can be used to find threads on existing topics.
I believe the recent posts above have addressed your concerns. It is also recommended that a Weight Distribution Hitch be used for towing over 2000 lbs. Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter
Thank you Peter, for reading and understanding my question and merging my thread with the appropriate topic Others who posted about their experience with GM and Ford trailer packages and harnesses did address my concern, and I got my answer.

Back