• Register Today It's free!

Which Class III trailer hitch?

ncexpl

Reaction score
City, State
Westfield, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I have a 97, v6, 4-door, control trac. Which is the best class III hitch for me to get which will bolt onto the frame without drilling? Thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ncexpl said:
I have a 97, v6, 4-door, control trac. Which is the best class III hitch for me to get which will bolt onto the frame without drilling? Thanks....

I have a Hidden Hitch on my '99. The install was cake.

Sorry for the horrible quality on the pictures, but it does give you an idea of how it will look.

Attachments

• hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 563
  • hitch2.jpg
    hitch2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 502
  • hitch3.jpg
    hitch3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 504

I also have the Hidden Hitch brand, but it is on a 98. Mine is higher and more recessed than the above picture shows. My bolted right in with no drilling, but I couldn't get my 16" spare back in place without some cutting and modifing. The hitch shipped with a little piece of paper that said it didn't work with a 16" spare, but I didn't know that when I bought it. Instead of sending it back, I decide to make it work. If you have 15" rims, then no problem.

You know. I installed the same hidden hitch as aldive and it dropped down the same amount. I had a habit of calling it the unhidden hitch. But regardless, the thing works beautifully and was fairly easy to install.

It's nice to have another person helping but not necessary. I found it to be a pain trying to bolt on both sides by myself. But I suck with mechanical work. :)

I looked at mine again last night. My reciever is only about a half inch below the bumper. It is also recessed about an inch back in under the bumper. Very hidden, and I couldn't be happier with it. The orginal stickers are still on my hitch, so maybe I will look for model number, manf date [purchased 2002], or something like that. The only thing I can think of is that the 98 and 99 had different holes in the frame. If so, I would think Hidden Hitch would make different hitches for each year. They don't.

Almost all brands have a class III hitch that will intall to the explorer without drilling. I have a Drawtite Tube style, that is hidden pretty well. It is actually less noticable than the hidden hitch brand I think. I pull my 4000 lbs boat and trailer with mine.

DCExplorer said:
I looked at mine again last night. My reciever is only about a half inch below the bumper. It is also recessed about an inch back in under the bumper. Very hidden, and I couldn't be happier with it. The orginal stickers are still on my hitch, so maybe I will look for model number, manf date [purchased 2002], or something like that. The only thing I can think of is that the 98 and 99 had different holes in the frame. If so, I would think Hidden Hitch would make different hitches for each year. They don't.

Please post a picture.

DCExplorer said:
I also have the Hidden Hitch brand, but it is on a 98. Mine is higher and more recessed than the above picture shows. My bolted right in with no drilling, but I couldn't get my 16" spare back in place without some cutting and modifing. The hitch shipped with a little piece of paper that said it didn't work with a 16" spare, but I didn't know that when I bought it. Instead of sending it back, I decide to make it work. If you have 15" rims, then no problem.

Same on my 98.

Etrailer.com shows 2 different models for 98 and 99 Ex's. One fits a 16 inch spare and the other will only fit a 16 inch spare with modification. Aldive probably has one on model while you and I have the other.

Lee

Reese Tube-Style multi-fit on mine.

installation very easy i only had to drill 2 holes.

Lee S. said:
Etrailer.com shows 2 different models for 98 and 99 Ex's. One fits a 16 inch spare and the other will only fit a 16 inch spare with modification. Aldive probably has one on model while you and I have the other.

That must be it. E-trailer shows two different models, but both stock numbers are the same for 98 and 99.

Al,
I don't think I can post pictures. I'm not elite, and I don't have an account anywhere to post picutres to the web. I'd be happy to e-mail photos to you if you give me an address. Perhaps you could post them. This will have to wait till Monday however.

DCExplorer said:
Al,
I don't think I can post pictures. I'm not elite, and I don't have an account anywhere to post picutres to the web. I'd be happy to e-mail photos to you if you give me an address. Perhaps you could post them. This will have to wait till Monday however.

Sorry, I am not allowed to post the picture for you; rules by the powers that be.

Hey Al do you ever smack the bumper lights wheeling? I really want to do a set like that.

Nitrous SSC said:
Hey Al do you ever smack the bumper lights wheeling? I really want to do a set like that.

My truck never leaves the highway except on the dirt road at the ranch.

I have a Curt round style hitch. I was worried it would sit too low, but it fit closely to the bumper. Maybe someone will chime in who has one on a 2nd Gen...
18205102_0202_WEB-med.jpg

18205102_0205_WEB-med.jpg

Back