Cleaned my throttle body, now I have a "Check Engine" light.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cleaned my throttle body, now I have a "Check Engine" light..

Steeda90GT

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
So I decided to clean my throttle body this weekend with throttle body cleaner. So much crap and gunk came out, so when I fired her back up she ran beautifully. Then after about 20 min or so of driving I get a "Check Engine" light. I disconnected the battery for 20 min, reattached then started it back up. All was fine till 20 min later, "Check Engine" light comes back on.

So what do you think I did? Alls I did was remove rubber hose and cleaned the throttle body..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I decided to clean my throttle body this weekend with throttle body cleaner. So much crap and gunk came out, so when I fired her back up she ran beautifully. Then after about 20 min or so of driving I get a "Check Engine" light. I disconnected the battery for 20 min, reattached then started it back up. All was fine till 20 min later, "Check Engine" light comes back on.

So what do you think I did? Alls I did was remove rubber hose and cleaned the throttle body..

Is it idling a bit higher then usual? Sometimes when the throttle body is really dirty, when you clean it out the car/truck will idle a little bit higher and you have to adjust it. To adjust the throttle, theres a screw on the throttle body itself, once you set the idle (within limits)the CEL will turn off.

or you got a little junk in the IAC......

ohhhh
please get the code(s) read on a scanner before messing with anything!
Autozone will read the codes for no charge-write them down and post back here before you buy anything.

You can change the idle speed with a screw on the throttle body? I was under the impression that idle speed was controlled only by the Idle Air Control Valve.

You can change the idle speed with a screw on the throttle body? I was under the impression that idle speed was controlled only by the Idle Air Control Valve.

You can raise/lower the throttle from that screw on the throttle body.

Is it idling a bit higher then usual? Sometimes when the throttle body is really dirty, when you clean it out the car/truck will idle a little bit higher and you have to adjust it. To adjust the throttle, theres a screw on the throttle body itself, once you set the idle (within limits)the CEL will turn off.

NO, no, no; the computer with adaptive learning make the corrections. Do not mess with the screw.

ohhhh
please get the code(s) read on a scanner before messing with anything!
Autozone will read the codes for no charge-write them down and post back here before you buy anything.

Yes, post the trouble code and we can offer assistance.

Good luck .....

NO, no, no; the computer with adaptive learning make the corrections.

For the most part yes. Other times you will have to set the throttle.

the throttle blade screw will only increase the idle, not lower it, if you want to lower it you would have to disconnect the IAC.

and it sounds like you got some **** in the IAC and it no longer working, but get the codes FIRST.

the throttle blade screw will only increase the idle, not lower it, if you want to lower it you would have to disconnect the IAC.

and it sounds like you got some **** in the IAC and it no longer working, but get the codes FIRST.

You can also lower the throttle. My wife had let my "bro in law" look at her car one time cause it was hesitating upon acceleration. Last month it was time to clean throttle body so when i took it off, the damn thing was so black and had so much sludge built up, i had to literally scrape it off carefully. After i cleaned the throttle body, it was idling at 2500-3000 rpm i let it sit for 5 minutes and the CEL came on.

I adjusted the screw and brought the idle back down to 600-800 and the CEL went off (scanned the code when CEL was on i think it was P16025? cant remember but it said IACV)). Apparently bro in law decided to raise the throttle to "fix" the hesitation. Of course all this was done and i didnt know about it.

Yes it it idling a tad higher than normal...about 1,000-1,100 rpms. Don't worry, I know better than to adjust the idle screw. I've only done that to mustangs that were highly modified that had custom tunes. I kind of figured I might have clogged the IAC. I was actually trying to spray a bit of it towards the IAC because I know they get extremely dirty. I was just baffled when I got the CE light because I must've done this to a ton of vehicles and never has it registered a code.

I'll take her down to Autozone when I get a chance..

Alright, just came back from Autozone and the verdict is in:

P01506 - Idle air control overspeed error.

So this is the IAC sensor, right? Is it worth taking off to clean?

Alright, just came back from Autozone and the verdict is in:

P01506 - Idle air control overspeed error.
So this is the IAC sensor, right? Is it worth taking off to clean?

Yes, it could very well be clogged--hanging up inside. Try to get the plunger clean-

Cleaning is indeed possible, and has worked for some, however, I have had no luck cleaning. I simply replace the IAC.

Good luck ....

Mine is idling high too and throwing P0172 P0174 codes..

Back